Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer just crashed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jdietz

jdietz

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

I an\m at work and was going to the internet to check email. Logged into my homepage (Drudge Report) when AVAST came up with the warning that a rootkit had been detected and blocked. Virus was moved and nothing further needed done.

I was reaching for a note pad when the computer shut off. I restarted and the startup screen comes up,. The bios check beeps, the DVD drive actuates then the HD activity light blinks and the monitor goes dark.

That's it. The power light is on, the fane\s are running, U|I can open the DVD, but that is it.

I have tried removing the memory and replacing it. I have reset the bios as I thought it may have gotten infected. No Love There.

Doe anyone have any ideas. I do not have my equipment here to check the drive, but the bios recognizes it.

System is an Acer Aspire AST135-U-S3104, AMD Sempron, 2 gig pc3200 memory, Seagate 160 gig SATA, DVD burner.

THANKS!

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2010 - 06:56 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jdietz

jdietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

Well the computer is back up. The virus was Win32:Rootkit-gen [Rtk] and when Avast quarantined it it removed some critical Windows files with the virus. I can at least use the system but the print spooler will not start. It is set to automatic but when I try to start it it says Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Also the sound card will not work. There is a yellow ! on the card in device manager and under properties it says, This device cannot start. (code 10)

Any have any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users