Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Mouse Stop Working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Amedeus

Amedeus

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

Okay, I posted this a few weeks ago but I guess the thread was abandoned right away, so here goes. My computer stops recognizing my keyboard and mouse as I'm starting it up. Now, I have to hit escape then choose which hard drive to boot off of when the computer starts because I haven't been able to change which hard drive's the master in the BIOS since I got this thing. When I get to the screen to do it, however, it's recently started killing my keyboard. If I wait a few seconds I can usually choose which hard drive quick and be okay. If I wait too long, the keyboard stops working anyways.

When Windows comes up, sometimes the keyboard and mouse stop working anyways. Sometimes they work fine until I shut down. It really makes no sense.

And since the topic was abandoned, I couldn't get this solved before I had to leave for a couple weeks, and now that I'm back the mouse doesn't even start working at all. So I have to fix this with no mouse.

Last time, I was asked to post the errors under System in the Event Viewer but there was never a follow-up after that. If it helps, here they are:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
ftsata2

The npkcrypt service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0040055559FC. The following error occurred:
The operation was canceled by the user. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Error loading virus definitions.

The name "WORKGROUP :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.1.2. The machine with the IP address 192.168.1.4 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 0000800c, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 b3603386.

The rest are just those repeated a bunch.

Edit: I should also mention that I am running Windows XP. I also cannot get into Safe Mode because the keyboard ALWAYS stops working before I can select the option. I've tried a lot.

Edited by Amedeus, 30 September 2010 - 06:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Sounds to me as if you have more significant problems than keyboard/mouse functioning.

Your 4 Sep post re this issue, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic345250.html. Yes, 5 replies...looks abandoned to me...that usually means posters either have no ideas they wish to express or which haven't already been expressed, IMO.

Louis

#3 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

It's an HP Pavilion a1600n.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

In the September 4 topic that Hamluis posted the link to, I suggested that you change the CMOS battery. Did you?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

Hm, I missed that, somehow. What's the CMOS battery? I could give it a shot.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

The CMOS battery maintains the BIOS and any changes that you have made there. This battery is located on the motherboard. It is silver in color and is about the diameter of a US quarter.

There will be a clip which keeps it in place, carefully remove the battery noting which direction the + is facing so that when you install the new battery the + will be facing the proper direction.

After replacing the battery you will need to update the date and time, this can be done in the Control Panel under Date and Time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

Alright, I'll try to pick one up tomorrow and we'll see how this goes. Fingers crossed.

#8 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

Well, the battery didn't do it. We (my dad and I - he works on copiers and things for a living, so he's better with hardware) discovered that while the PS/2 ports have problems, we can work around that by just plugging everything into USB ports instead.

Of course, in the long run, I wound up doing some updates and on a whim decided to update the BIOS drivers again, and now it seems that they work in the PS/2 ports. I don't know why that worked this time, or if it'll keep working. I'll know for sure on future restarts, but I guess it seems like it all managed to sort itself out for now. If it hasn't, I can use the USB ports until I can afford a new desktop - this one's about had it anyways.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:06 AM

You replaced the CMOS battery, enabled the USB keyboard and mouse in the BIOS, and reset the date and time and the keyboard setting still wouldn't remain enabled in the BIOS?

#10 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

I didn't really mess around with the BIOS after changing the battery didn't work, but once we switched over to USB ports instead of PS/2 ports everything worked out much better.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hi Amedeus

Glad to hear that you seem to have worked out your problems.

One last thing you should do though is enter the BIOS set up and reset the time and date. Otherwise you may run into different problems down the road.

#12 Amedeus

Amedeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

I'll make sure to do that next boot. Thanks, guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users