Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot even use my computer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 beleted409

beleted409

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

So at the moment I am using my ipod to post this. Before i was trying to get the proper logs for a malware post concering the Google Redirect Virus, however my computer was rudely shut down and now shows the dreaded Blue Screen of Death that reads a notice saying "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DATA". All three safe modes, last known configuration and boot normally all lead to the same screen. I need to know if there is a way i can wipe my computer clean without actually getting on it. If I can do this my back up drive will do the rest I hope. If anyone has suggestions i would be more than happy to hear them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Unmountable Boot Volume - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Unmountable boot volume errors are normally overcome by running the chkdsk /r command from the XP Recovery Console, if one has a Genuine XP install CD from Microsoft.

In other instances...a user can remove the hard drive and attach it as a secondary drive to another system...and run the chkdsk /r command on that drive/partition from the second system...if the drive or file system is not damaged.

Louis

#3 beleted409

beleted409
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

I'm currently using a Dell Dimension 8300. I apologize but i'm not exactly tech savy if you could put what you said before into an "Idiots Guide" it would be most helpful

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

Most likely, your computer wasn't shut down properly and the filesystem wasn't closed. It needs to have CHKDSK run on the drive to ensure it isn't corrupted and to fix any corruption that may have occured.

Unfortunately the Recovery Console you need to boot into isn't installed by default on windows XP. You will probably need to find a Windows XP installation CD to boot into the Recovery Console. Do you have one available?

If not and you have a CD burner, we can help walk you through creating a bootable Recovery Console CD so you can do the repair you need. An .iso image that can be burned to a CD is available HERE.

Edited by Gabrial, 30 September 2010 - 04:25 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

If you have your setup install Desk for Windows you can follow this guide:

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

Worth having read, http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&doclang=en

Follow the Dell directions for reinstalling XP...except you need to remember that you want to repair, using the Recovery Console, rather than install.

So after you select R and hit Enter, you will be in the Recovery Console.

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

On the line where it asks which installation you want to repair, type 1 and hit Enter.

On the line asking for password...just hit Enter.

On the next line...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter. This will start the command running.

If any error messages appear onscreeen...please write them down.

The time to run chkdsk /r will vary according to need for such and the size of the partition/drive.

When done, it will show a summary and return to the prompt which appeared before you ran the command.

Type Exit and hit Enter, system reboots.

Louis

#7 fordGT99

fordGT99

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

My computer started this crap this afternoon. While I do have recovery console installed, trying to run it still ended up with the blue screen "unmountable volume boot" page. Would making a cd-r from the iso file above be worth a shot?

My pc is a HP m7160n, Windows XP (Media Center Ed), Service pack 3. Thanks for any help. Hoping to avoid losing my data.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

What kind of hard drive do you have?

#9 fordGT99

fordGT99

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

My computer started this crap this afternoon. While I do have recovery console installed, trying to run it still ended up with the blue screen "unmountable volume boot" page. Would making a cd-r from the iso file above be worth a shot?

My pc is a HP m7160n, Windows XP (Media Center Ed), Service pack 3. Thanks for any help. Hoping to avoid losing my data.

Not sure if I can pull up specifics but here's a basic description:

250.0 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-150 - 7200.0 rpm

I am able boot using a cd-r of the ISO file above. I did run a chkdsk /r once & that didn't fix the problem. I rebooted with the cd-r again and left it at the main screen. Will try again later but losing hope. If nothing else I'll pull out the harddrive, plug it into another pc to copy over a few files I don't want to lose.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Can you check the BIOS for the Hard Drive type?

#11 fordGT99

fordGT99

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

Not sure if I can pull up specifics but here's a basic description:

250.0 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-150 - 7200.0 rpm

I am able boot using a cd-r of the ISO file above. I did run a chkdsk /r once & that didn't fix the problem. I rebooted with the cd-r again and left it at the main screen. Will try again later but losing hope. If nothing else I'll pull out the harddrive, plug it into another pc to copy over a few files I don't want to lose.

Yes, it says:

WDC WD2500JD-2

Does that help? If not please let me know where else to look so I can provide what else you need. Thanks.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

Can you head on over to http://www.wdc.com and download the data life guard tools for Western Digital and burn it to a CD and run the tests.

#13 fordGT99

fordGT99

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

Can you head on over to http://www.wdc.com and download the data life guard tools for Western Digital and burn it to a CD and run the tests.

Quoted the wrong post. The test is running now. Before running this I had tried the recovery console disc and did the following:

chkdsk /p
chkdsk /r
fixdisk

After doing these steps I tried to reboot and got "ntldr is missing, press any key etc etc". Seems I messed up doing "fixdisk".

#14 fordGT99

fordGT99

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

Quick test results-no errors

Running full media test now

#15 fordGT99

fordGT99

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

No errors found with full media test. Trying this to fix the ntldr is missing crap. So far no go with it (up to option #8 out of 10).

Edited by fordGT99, 23 May 2011 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users