Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Performance

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:26 PM

I think we need a thread to discuss tips/tricks for PC Performance.

Other than virus/spyware scans and adding more memory, what have you found to increase system performance on windows 2000 and XP systems?

I have found a couple of things to provide a temporary fix, but, unfortunately, I don't know enough about the OSs to tell you why these fixes work.

Some of the things that have worked for me:

Get rid of seldom used programs. This is easy enough to do through the "add/remove programs" menu.

Defrag, clean out temp files, and do just about everything else you find in Start -> Programs(or All Programs) -> Accessories -> System tools

Reset some of the services on your machine to a startup type of "manual" rather than Automatic. Do this by going to Start -> Run -> services.msc.
Be carefull what you change. Google it first. You can reset some of the TSRs by going to the program itself and setting some flags in the application rather than in serices.msc. A couple of examples are Outlook and Messenger. You can reset both of these applications to not start automatically for a barely noticable gain in performance.

Before making changes you are unsure of, be sure to google or post to the forum for advice. Also, it's always a good idea to have a current backup of your system state as well as any data you have on your HD.

Please reply to this thread with other tips and tricks you've found.

Mod Edit: Moved to the appropriate forum.

Edited by tg1911, 14 November 2005 - 01:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

You'll find several tips/tricks in this forum.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:18 PM

4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

Also, adjust your pagefile to be commensurate with the RAM.

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:15 AM

About the Services.msc stuff, if I set something to manual, and a program needs it, will that program manually start it for itself?

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#5 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:11 PM

As Far as I know, anything you set to manual will not start unless something requests it to start. Give it a shot and let us know how it works.

Thanks TG. I feel silly for overlooking this section of the forum. I have found several very interesting threads in this section.

Edited by BanditFlyer, 15 November 2005 - 07:12 PM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:44 AM

No problem, BanditFlyer.
I figured you had just overlooked it. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:46 AM

There are ton's and ton's of speed tips out there. The problem is that, each alone doesn't give an incredible boost to performance (in most cases).

A combination of the tips may result in a significant performance increase - but it'll be different for each system and each user. Also, it's trial and error because you don't know how each tip will affect the workings of another tip.

My biggest performance tip in XP is to go into Control Panel, then System, then the Advanced tab, then the Performance Settings button. In the Visual Effects tab - click on "Adjust for best performance" and hit OK. This seems to be the most reliable way to speed up things - but it does away with the "eye candy" that most of us have grown used to.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:47 AM

Only install hardware and software that is compatible with your operating system, clean out the registry (only if you know about this) and DEFRAG often. And set your virtual memory correctly.

Edited by micaman, 17 November 2005 - 04:50 AM.

#9 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:28 AM

About the Services.msc stuff, if I set something to manual, and a program needs it, will that program manually start it for itself?

Everything i know of, except the Print Spooler, that you have to manualy go into services.msc and start it up for your printer to work, i keep my on manual because i rarly use my printer.

#10 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:53 AM

4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance

http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/getstarted/speed.mspx

Also, adjust your pagefile to be commensurate with the RAM.

Yes, i think keeping the system clean and startup list light, the drive defragmented itself can go a long way in keeping things fast and smooth. I like CCleaner, run an automatic defragmenter which is scheduled to run in the background, also use a registry cleaner once in a while.
Here's a link (if i may post it here)..i have referred to for tips and tweaks
http://www.tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx

#11 Hobgoblin

Hobgoblin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

Best advice I ever received is to read the Tweaking Guide from Kharoush Ghazi. Turned my snail of a laptop into something resembling a Ferrari.

I am not affiliated with his website, www.tweakguides.com but cannot recommend it highly enough.

Check out everyone else's opinion elsewhere on this forum.

#12 thunderpuppy

thunderpuppy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:32 AM

How about this tip from the ASYSET site to save problems with patches & updates. A few times I've been caught with a patch to a patch on a patch- ugetit. Maybe some these software puppies need to actual test some of their creations b4 letting them run loose in the park?
:
Precautions to take when installing patches or updates.

A.- Create a Restore Point
Anti-virus programs: Be aware most good programs are updated at least weekly. Environment: Windows- Norton or Symantec products
1.- Turn on your LiveUpdate and ask to be notified. (check at least weekly yourself and if you learn of a new threat on the news- these update programs are not always reliable)
2. Create a restore point- see "Instructional Information- RESTORE POINT" below. When asked for a name the Restore use an explanation of the patch or upgrade being installed. Note: Not all programs give you the change to download a copy, as "Save", before installing, which is the preferred way. We keep a separate folder for all downloads for this purpose.
3. Run your anti virus program, manually, on the downloaded files, as soon as possible before installing.
4. Install by Clicking on MY COMPUTER> locate the downloaded exe or zip file in your folders and double click to install. Please read the instructions carefully and any agreement that could limit your rights or impact your privacy and security.

Instructional Information - RESTORE POINT- Windows XP
Create a System restore point.
1.- Close any others program you may have running or open). 2.- START> ALL PROGRAMS> ACCESSORIES> SYSTEM TOOLS> SYSTEM RESTORE- check mark the "Create a restore point"> NEXT> Type in info for a description- example: Prior to the _____ update. NEXT>. 3.- When the program is finished creating it, a message will show: New Restore Point: with your description. 4.- Press CLOSE button.

#13 ssfire

ssfire

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

This easy to use utility "Tune XP 1.5" from DriverHeaven works pretty well:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4194.html

I run it about once a month or so. It is not a replacement for the afore mentioned items but I did see a noticable improvement across the board, especially in the boot up area. Thanks to Tune XP this 'puter can have a program such as Excell or WordPerfect running from a cold boot in about 45 seconds. That is of course if I don't forget and leave an un-finalized DVD in the burner. Using this utility and Tweakguide companion have been a tremendous help.

#14 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:16 PM

I do this stuff for a living and have developed, over the past ten years, a tuneup procedure like nothing you've ever heard of before. It takes several hours to do the entire procedure.
But most of my speed secrets are listed on My Webpage

That's not everything, but it's a good place to start.

My biggest performance tip in XP is to go into Control Panel, then System, then the Advanced tab, then the Performance Settings button. In the Visual Effects tab - click on "Adjust for best performance" and hit OK. This seems to be the most reliable way to speed up things - but it does away with the "eye candy" that most of us have grown used to.

Thank you, Usasma! That's another "must" for me when doing a Tune-UP.

Most of my tweaks have been automated with batch files and vbscripts, but that one is still done manually.

The best tip of all is keep your HD free of garbage and "chkdsk /f /r" and Defrag often. At least once a week.

There have been many programs written to do this HD cleanup. I've found most of them lacking or over zealous, so I wrote my own in a batch file and I've put it on my Webpage where anyone who wants it can easily download it.
It's easy to edit with WordPad to add, change or remove lines.
It ain't Rocket Science, just an old DOS batch file. Works good though.
I put it in my own Startup folder for a FREE daily cleanup. I also share it with all my customers.

I recently found that my "Call Wave" program was caching all my incoming messages and had been for over a year. Now, don't ya just know, that was quite a bit of just ol' Crap.(?)
Well, this line added to my XPCleanup.bat file, took care of that problem.
deltree /y "C:\Program Files\CallWave\Calls\*.*"

My tweaks and my cleanup batch file are all a part of my "Care Package" which I've put on My Download Site.
Just download it, unzip it and read the "Instruction" text file.

Good Luck,
The Shadow :thumbsup:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#15 BobbySocks

BobbySocks

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:11 AM

One thing that really does not works for speeding pc up is clicking on flashing online adds which tell you "make your computer faster!!!" or "Speed up your computer with our software!!!" :thumbsup:
I use Spy Sweeper.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users