Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jschwartzNYC

jschwartzNYC

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hi There...

I am using XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron Laptop, accessing the internet through a Netgear ADSL modem/wireless router.

Throughout the day using Firefox, a webpage I am on will stop responding even though my wifi connect is listed as "excellent." My "fixes" included opening a page in ie7 and when that doesn't load, use their "Diagnose Connection Problems," link - which works some of the time.

When that doesn't work, I unplug the router and that works.

This happens 5-10 per day and is super-annoying to say the least.

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

THANK YOU.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stupac

stupac

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Doesn't sound like fun, jschwartz. First we should probably narrow down the problem to your laptop or to the router/modem.

First, do you have any other computers or wireless devices that connect to your router/modem? If so and they are working fine, then we can narrow it down to a problem on your Dell Laptop. Or does the Dell have the problem on any other wireless networks or when plugged in to the router with an ethernet cable?

Another thing you may want to check is the system event log. To do this hit start->run and type "eventvwr.msc" and enter. Select "system" from the pane on the left and try to look for errors or warnings happening when your connection drops. Posting whatever you find may help.

Hope that gives us a place to start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users