Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

proxy blocks logins and images

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 don wolfani

don wolfani

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

i just recently sett up a proxy on my system because i am having to use public wifi which seems to block some of the sites i access and i would like that access back.

i mean if the library wants a blocker on their own machines fine but i should not have one shoved down my throat when i paid good money to have my own private machine right?

anyhoo my problem is that when i am using the proxy instead of a direct internet connection, it blocks me from logging into things such as forums and the like on firefox, furthermore i am using the rss reader program rssowl to fetch new posts on a 4chan like image board for faster browsing through what is new there but the proxy also does not allow me to see the image thumbnails so i will know what i am downloading.

should i use a different proxy?
and if so could someone pls pm me a working ip and port to use for a proxy? every proxy site i find through google or sites that list proxy sites all i get are the ones where you have to go to that page and enter the url but not one site gives me a way to use their service as a normal proxy that i can configure for everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

It is against the rules of this site to circumvent the security of others such as the library you mention. Also, please note that public proxies are very dangerous in that they are transparent. Anyone on the proxy can see what you are doing.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

Their bandwidth their rules.

As has been mentioned, BleepingComputer does not allow discussion of bypassing security per the forum rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

They have put the blocks in place for their own security.

This topic is closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users