Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 itcusnr

itcusnr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:14 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 8250. Recently it started having power on problems. At first the power button LED would flash green and after pressing it several times the system would eventually power on. All indications pointed to a power supply problem. I swapped out the power supply with the same symptoms. I tried disconnecting all IDE cables (CD-ROM, Hard drive and floppy) with the same results. I removed the memory and still will not power up immediately. I swapped out the power button and that didn't help. Last week, I press the power button and it did not come up. About an hour later, I walked past the computer and it was on. Now I am finding out that after I press the power button, the computer will eventually come up but it can be several hours later. The only thing I haven't replaced is the motherboard battery. But I am not losing time on the system clock or any settings in the CMOS. I plan on trying that tonight, but can't image that being the problem. Has anybody heard of this problem? Dell has been no help since it is out of warranty. Any ideas on the cause? Dell wants $220 for a new motherboard. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

Well your pretty much jipped, 225 is the biggest rip off for a dell motherboard since forever. Not only the lack of components plug ins, but the lack of everything. Have you considered maybe buying a new case and motherboard compatible with your cpu (probably socket 478) and starting over with a good computer. You could probably even find a case and a motherboard together in the mid 100's. I can of course help you select a custom case to your liking. The only thing you would ahve to purchase is a case and cpu, if your happy with the amount of harddrive space and ram you have.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:24 PM

Well, you won't necessarily lost time with a weak CMOS battery (I speak from experience here!) - and, it's usually only $1.50 US to replace it, so go for it.

If this is XP, check the Event Viewer for any error messages (probably in the System section).

Try this link for troubleshooting startup problems with XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041/EN-US/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:40 AM

I believe the flashing green light on the "on" switch indicates the computer has gone into hibernation. Check your power management and disable the hibernation if it is enabled, and see if that helps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 itcusnr

itcusnr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:56 AM

I removed the hibernation mode last week thinking that may be the problem. The flashing green LED was one of the first symptoms of a problem. Last night I swapped the battery, the computer still would not come up. All indications point to the system board. The problem now as it stands is this - Press the power button, nothing happens, no LED, no fan, but wait minutes to hours and the system will power on. What I may end up doing, is turn on hibernation mode and just leave the darn computer on 24/7.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:00 PM

Does your motherboard have a power saving setting. Sometimes called a "Green Mode". Or you could have a weak power supply. Do you have another power supply you could try?

Edited by acklan, 16 November 2005 - 12:18 PM.

#7 itcusnr

itcusnr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

Yep, tried a different power supply and the power on button. I've disconnected all of the drives from the system board, removed the memory and all expansion cards (modem, firewire, sound card, and video card). All had the same results.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:09 AM

So, as I understand it, all that was connected to the system was:
Power Supply
Motherboard
CPU
maybe a fan or two
maybe a keyboard and mouse

Is this true? If so, there's very little left to suspect.

Can you reset the BIOS to default? (just brainstorming here)

Try it without the keyboard and mouse - they've been known to cause startup problems in the past.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 itcusnr

itcusnr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 02:13 PM

It turned out to be a bad power supply. During the troubleshooting, I installed another power supply and it turned out to be bad also. The way I found this out, for some reason I put the 2nd power supply in another computer and it wouldn't work. Bought a new power supply and the computer worked. Thanks for all the suggestions.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

I'm happy to see it worked out.

#11 tk25

tk25

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

I have the same problem with my Dell Dimension 8250 but it won't start at all now/ never. For a week or two before it died I had to press really hard on the on / off switch for 30 seconds or so to get it to start. I have had this computeer for 3 years and have one more year on extended warranty. I called Dell and they are sending a guy to put in a new power supply. tomorrow.

They had me diconnect or take out the RAM, power cables, modem and sound card and disconnect all those ribbon connectors without any change. The 4 diagnostic lights don't work at all on the back. There is a small light on the central part of the mother board which is on.

I'm hoping that the power supply will fix it although I'm wondering if the on off switch might be bad. Should the little light on the mother board be on when the power supply is bad?

tk25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users