Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

60 Cybercriminals behind Zeus trojan/bot charged

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

The Zeus trojan/botnet has been in the news a lot recently. The authorities are actively working and pursuing the case. They will announce later today (1 PM US Eastern time) that over 60 people in the US will be formally charged in an unprecedented sweep against cyber criminals.

Edited to add: The United Kingdom has already charged 11 people in the same operation. Very interesting and enlightening article from Brian Krebs linked below.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/09/11-char...oney-mule-ring/

"NEW YORK (Reuters) - Prosecutors plan to unveil charges against more than 60 defendants allegedly involved in a global cybercrime scheme that used the Zeus Trojan and other Internet viruses to steal millions of dollars from U.S. bank accounts."

Sources:
http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKT...20100930?ca=rdt
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/technology/80...jan-cybercrime/

Edited by Galadriel, 30 September 2010 - 10:58 AM.

I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:03 AM

This makes my brain link to many post where people worry about governments monitoring the internet. Monitoring is the only way I can think of to catch people like this.

#3 wildman424

wildman424

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

They will announce later today (1 PM US Eastern time) that over 60 people in the US will be formally charged in an unprecedented sweep against cyber criminals.

The United Kingdom has already charged 11 people in the same operation. Very interesting and enlightening article from Brian Krebs linked below.

Prosecutors plan to unveil charges against more than 60 defendants allegedly involved in a global cybercrime scheme that used the Zeus Trojan and other Internet viruses to steal millions of dollars from U.S. bank accounts."

Good serves them right lock em all up n throw away the key don't do the crime if you don't wanna do the time
Wildman424
Malware Fighter in training
"A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted
to be that profound secret and mystery to every other."
-Charles Dickens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users