Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled Laptop Keyboard; Unusable System Restore Points

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mikerox

mikerox

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

Hello to anyone who can help me. I've got an annoying little problem on my hands...or rather under my fingers. Literally just last night my computer stopped working after a hard shut-down. The cause of the ill-advised shutdown wasn't a freezing of the computer or anything, but simply me being in a rush to turn it off before attending an appointment. After starting it up, I noticed that the on-board keyboard just wouldn't work. As advised in a previous topic with a similar problem, I've tried hitting every single key. Nothing in the conventional keyboard layout, including the Function keys, the QWERTY keys and the keys on the number pad work. Even the print screen, scroll lock and pause/break keys are out of commission. What's worse is that the keyboard doesn't work even in the BIOS menu, so I can't access the safe mode. Strangely enough, the function key and their corresponding function buttons are still usable. At current, I'm using a USB keyboard from my Dell desktop to type this.

I don't know how helpful this is, but I've also tried doing two system restores. In both cases, the computer gave me an error about the access points not able to be accessed because of an antivirus software. I doubt that's the actual cause, but for the sake of knowing for sure, I just uninstalled the antivirus program that I've been using, Avira Antivir (the free version) and will try it again after posting this message. I'm curious to know if this could be the tell-tell signs of a malware attack (if so, I might've been spiked by an email virus of some sort just a day or two ago.)

The specifications of my laptop are as follows:

Manufacturer: Toshiba

Model: Satellite L505D

Processor: 2.00 GHz AMD Athlon II Dual-Core

Your assistance in this matter will be most appreciated.

Edited by mikerox, 30 September 2010 - 10:44 AM.

A Christian and proud of it.

Those who use the Posted Image Button will suffer the wrath of Neapolitan!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The model number you posted which is L505D is a partial model number, there should be a 4 to 8 number model number following the L505D such as this example here: L505D-ES5024

Can you post your FULL model number including the numbers following the dash?

This will allow me to offer support for your specific laptop model number.

I'll provide you with a link to Toshiba's web site. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 September 2010 - 11:15 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

Full Model Number: L505D-S5983

Something I forgot to mention earlier is that the mouse pad no longer works, whether it's disabled via the function controls or not. Also, the speaker control knob is also inoperable. In addition, when I try to shut down, the computer will hover in a state between the "shutting down" screen in W7 and the actual power down state.

Edited by mikerox, 30 September 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

If you can get to the Advanced Options page (press and hold F8 when starting) try using the last known good configuration.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

If you can, try running chkdsk c: /f

Go to Start, click on Run, and type cmd in the box and then click OK.

A black page will open with a blinking cursor, type in the chkdsk c: /f command that you wish to run and then strike the enter key.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

First here is a link to the Toshiba web site for a pdf version of your owners manual.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...ily=1073768663#

The support pages at Toshiba list corrupted keyboard driver as possible culprit.

I realize loss of keyboard control makes it hard to correct the problem, but there is supposed to be an option to run diagnostics on this laptop to correct issues like this.

If the laptop came with a cdrom disk, you may be able to boot from it and allow it to fix various issues, either that or it is built into the BIOS chip and can be ran during boot up.

Read the manual I posted you to above for this feature.

Here is a very good web site related to Toshiba laptops, these include disassembly procedures as well.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

Direct link to L505D laptops http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Tosh...therboard-1.htm

Purpose for the above link, is in case you decide to look for a possible loose connection inside the laptop.

Good luck and if you have any questions, just ask.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 September 2010 - 12:27 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

Okay, the problem's officially resolved. As I suspected, there was a virus attack. A three hour sweep with Malwarebytes knocked out nine instances of malware, including two instances of "generic malware" and another seven trojans. In addition, I did the chkdsk thing and it ran successfully. I'm not sure which was the exact cause of the fix, but who cares? I can type now! lol

Thanks to MrBruce1959 and dc3 for all your help. :D

Edited by mikerox, 01 October 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

This is what I like hearing...success! :huh:

We appreciate your coming back and giving us an update. This will most certainly help others who may experience the problem you have experienced. :thumbup2:

You are welcome any time for our help and assistance we have offered you here, even though you resolved the problem yourself.

Thank you for being a valued member of the Bleepingcomputer family. :huh:

Happy computing and kind regards as always!

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users