Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open jpegs imported from HP scanner

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

A friend gave me an old HP 1410v all in one scanner/printer/copier. I imported a few old pictures from it into my Windows 7 computer.  All went well and the pictures are named and tagged jpegs in a folder on my desktop.  I scanned them at 2400DPI.  An example of one I am having trouble with is 12,253 X 8,357 and 10.2 Mb. All of them open in Windows Live Photo Gallery, but none will open with my photo editor, Serif PhotoPlus, or Windows Paint.  The messages say it's an invalid file or my HD is full - it's not (60% free). They also open in a browser window, but it's gigantic. Are they too large to handle?  Any ideas?  

Thanks,

Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eraser23

Eraser23

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

A friend gave me an old HP 1410v all in one scanner/printer/copier. I imported a few old pictures from it into my Windows 7 computer.  All went well and the pictures are named and tagged jpegs in a folder on my desktop.  I scanned them at 2400DPI.  An example of one I am having trouble with is 12,253 X 8,357 and 10.2 Mb. All of them open in Windows Live Photo Gallery, but none will open with my photo editor, Serif PhotoPlus, or Windows Paint.  The messages say it's an invalid file or my HD is full - it's not (60% free). They also open in a browser window, but it's gigantic. Are they too large to handle?  Any ideas?  

Thanks,

Rusty

2400 DPI is absolutely massive, there is no need for that.

Are you just scanning in normal pictures / photographs?

You won't need more than 300 dpi for scanning photo prints, 600 dpi for line art documents, assuming printing at original size. 1200 and 2400 dpi would be used for scanning film.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

If other programs can open and display the files, then there's nothing wrong with the files themselves. It's likely that the file is too large for those programs to handle and so they show an error (and MS Paint has always been a very limited and basic image editor, so it's unsurprising that it can't handle extra large files.)

There are a number of freeware and open source image editors available that rival even the most expensive commercial applications, why not try one of them (for an imcomplete list, see the Graphics Design & Editing section of this post.)

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

I figured out I was creating files to big to manage and also didn't know to define the area in preview. Big DUH for me.
Thanks for the replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users