Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox opens tabs randomly... but not in the way you'd think

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

This is a weird case, and I'm pretty sure it's not attributed to a virus.

Basically, I was playing full screen Starcraft whilst Firefox was running with multiple tabs open in the background. I alt-tabbed from the game to Firefox, and right clicked my taskbar and closed the game. As soon as I did this, a tab opened to Adtechus. (A legitimate AD company from what I can tell). I had a look on the website that was open when I alt tabbed before the new tab to Adtech opened and one of the ads on it had an Adtechus URL. The thing that perplexes me is that, my mouse didn't go near it, and so I couldnt have clicked it.

After this, a short while later, I re-opened the game, alt tabbed and before I could close it, another tab opened automatically from a site I was on before with a Facebook box implemented into it, and for some reason the new tab contained the Facebook "like" box seperate from everything else.

SEE HERE: http://www.facebook.com/plugins/likebox.ph...mp;header=false

Full website with the box to the left, here: http://www.gonintendo.com/

I can recreate this by right clicking the Facebook box on this specific website and choosing "This Frame > Open Frame in New Tab". But the thing is, I never did this in the first place! Plus, the website was already closed 20 seconds previously before this new tab popped up.

Then, automatically, another Adtechus tab popped up shortly after!

I am quite sure I have not got any viruses as I have a multi layered protection implemented on my computer and am concious of what I download/what websites I visit. This is not a regular occurance and has only happened today. Besides, these tabs opened from elements that were already on websites I had open, (ads, facebook "like" boxes) so it leads me to believe its something more cryptic?

I am also running noscript.

Thanks for your help. I would appreciate any and all replies.

Edited by fgeelo, 30 September 2010 - 07:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

Close out firefox and see if the issue continues.

#3 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

As I said, the issue was a one time only thing. My main concern is, why did this happen?

Thanks for your reply and I look forward to any further help.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

Probably a site that you had open was refreshing and it generated an ad to popup.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

Also, Firefox can get a little buggy and do some weird stuff if you leave it open for too long. When memory usage starts creeping up over 300,000 KB, it's time to restart.

See here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Memory_Leak

But yeah, since it only happened once, I wouldn't worry about it.

Consider adding Adblock Plus, though. Best Firefox addon ever! :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:13 AM

Probably a site that you had open was refreshing and it generated an ad to popup.

It definately didnt refresh, and this site does not use popups.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:20 AM

Do you know what site it was? You can PM it to me if you dont want to post it publicly.

#8 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:09 AM

First site with the ad was www.mmo-champion.com, a respected unofficial Blizzard community site. The second was www.Gonintendo.com, a Nintendo gaming based blog.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

It was probably the gonintendo site that spawned the ad, since it has advertisements on the bottom.

#10 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

Well I only opened Gonintendo after this happened, and the Adtech ads were on MMO-Champion, I'm sure. When I opened Gonintendo, I got that weird facebook thing where it auto-opened a tab with just the facebook box in it.

It's just so weird as to why this would occur. I mean, I alt tabbed from a game and close it, and an ad-tab launches. Should I be worried that it's a virus? I don't think I should be, and I've done multiple scans to prove as such. It's just something I can't figure out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users