Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ubuntu terminal help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:45 AM

I am unable to figure out the terminal completely.I enter it then enter vi editor to type my programs.I type the program and save it,compile it.When there is an error i navigate back to the program in append mode.That's when the problem starts.i an unable to use arrow keys(up gives me A and cursor moves to newline,using delete i am unable to shift a line above however enter moves the typed line to the next line).i hope you get what i mean.Please give me the list of keys to navigate through the terminal.
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:12 AM

Try this: VI Editor Cheat Cheat and see if that helps.

Is school making you use VI? Not sure if this is school related or just something you are dabbing into yourself.

#3 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

I just want to learn it by myself.In my college they are using vi.:wq is the save and quit command in Linux fedora(TIKAGA)?Does it work on ubuntu as well?Ubuntu and fedora,are they the same?I am asking you because in my college they are using fedora but i am using ubuntu to learn the subject.Hope there is not much of a difference?
thank you

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

The command should be the same.

I would recommend using the same distro of linux that your school uses so you can get the same assistance with it.

#5 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

The command should be the same.

I would recommend using the same distro of linux that your school uses so you can get the same assistance with it.

+1 : agreed :thumbsup:

#6 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:35 PM

Generally speaking the commands are the same for most of the basic distros, however you will notice that Fedora will have some more UNIX like commands.

Edited by ice2921, 30 September 2010 - 01:36 PM.

#7 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

Correction,In my college they are using RED HAT.Is operating that very different from UBUNTU????If yes kindly tell me the steps to uninstall UBUNTU.I have dual booting in my system...ubuntu and win7(side by side installation).I have already started downloading it.However its a 9gb file and is taking long.Could you give me some links to download RED HAT(TIKANGA).
thank you

#8 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

There are some base differences for sure between Red Hat and Ubuntu. I would recommend you download and install Fedora as it most closely resembles Red hat, and its pretty much what makes up RedHat. You can find a great tutorial here for installation:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora...uide/index.html

Ubuntu here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Keep in mind RedHat is not free, stick with Fedora.

Edited by ice2921, 30 September 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

You asked how to uninstall Ubuntu that you have in a dual boot with Windows.

I follow the instructions given in the link below.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=113630
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

Does Ubuntu use vi or vim?
vi is not distro dependent

In your terminal type: vi --v

Mine shows - VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2

To navigate without the arrow keys:
* k navigate upwards
* j navigate downwards
* l navigate right side
* h navigate left side

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#11 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

Don't know...but typing vi filename.sh opens up the editor.and I have have started downloading red hat.It was available on torrent(version 9 of red hat).Will that do or do i need to download Fedora.I don't know if it it is fake...since ice2921 has said that it is fake...
Thank you

Edited by comet@earth, 30 September 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#12 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

Don't know...but typing vi filename.sh opens up the editor.and I have have started downloading red hat.It was available on torrent(version 9 of red hat).Will that do or do i need to download Fedora.I don't know if it it is fake...since ice2921 has said that it is fake...
Thank you

I did not say that it was fake I stated that normally Red Hat is a paid for product. You may be able to get a trial version if you go to the red hat site. You can try CentoOS wich is pretty much a clone or Fedora which would be better for a desktop experience. Also if not mistaken Red Hat Enterprise Desktop and Server are at version 5.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

You can download a beta of RHEL 6 for Desktops Welcome to the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Beta

#14 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:09 AM

I want to download a full o.s.(for free).I have downloaded red hat(don't know if its a trial version) and have started downloading fedora 13.Please tell me which to install so that I can acquire good knowledge about linux(unix).I will listen to whatever u guys say.
thank you

Edited by comet@earth, 02 October 2010 - 03:18 AM.

#15 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:50 AM

I want to download a full o.s.(for free).I have downloaded red hat(don't know if its a trial version) and have started downloading fedora 13.Please tell me which to install so that I can acquire good knowledge about linux(unix).I will listen to whatever u guys say.
thank you

Like I stated before I would suggest using Fedora, although I am sure others may suggest something else. Thats just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users