Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:46 AM

I am at my wits end. This morning, I was burning audio cd's on my laptop, so that I caould play them on my way to college. I burned the first CD sucessfully. When I put the second cd in, and started the burning process, the cd drive started making this unusual clicking sound as it spun. A few seconds later, it spit out the cd, claiming their was an error.

Fine. Previously, their might have been something wrong with the disc. So, I inserted another cd. Same clicking noise, same spit out, same error message...again...and again...and again....

I now know this is not a problem with the disc, because they CD-R's I am using are all brand new. Does it have something to do with the cd rom drive and that weird clicking sound? The only thing that has changed are the two fist shaped dents that are now on my keyboard. Somebody, help! Do I need to replace the drive? Did dust or something get in there and is now interfering with the burn process? I swear that I didn't change any settings between burns; I only changed the audio files I put on it.

For those who need specs, I am using a Toshiba Satelite A65 laptop, Windows XP, Dvd/cd-rw drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:00 PM

Clicking sounds are never good. Now I am not saying the drive is bad, but clicking sounds in drives (hard or cdroms) tend to mean something is wrong. First thing to try is to open the cd tray and blow into the opening...if there is any dust maybe it will dislodge it.

#3 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:52 PM

try drive lens cleaner....

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:37 PM

Well, there was some cat hair in the drive, (how did that happen? I never them my cat near my laptop!) but even after I got it all out, it still wouldn't burn anything. Then, I tried putting in a read-only cd, to see if the drive would at least read a cd. The disc spun, I could hear it spinning, but it wouldn't read the disc at all. Could the laser be dead? How would I tell for sure? What do you all think? Would drive lens cleaner work? If so, I'll be glad to buy some.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:34 AM

Sounds like the drive is dead for whatever reason. Could be that the laser got damaged from the cat hair, but thats just a complete guess. If you cant read a normal cd as well, its prob the laser or the arm that got messed up.

#6 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:17 PM

*sigh*

Well, any more advice before I go out and buy a new disc drive? Otherwise, I'll have no choice. I need to be able to burn cd's to back up my data for college.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:59 PM

You can try the cleaning solution first. No guarantee though unfortunately.

#8 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:12 PM

Alright. I'd better start scrapping some cash together for a new drive. I'll try the lens cleaner first. Who knows? I might work. If I need to buy a new disc drive, I'll start another topic to ask for buying advice. Thanks for your input, everybody! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users