Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU overheating, need troubleshoot help.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Karl88

Karl88

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:25 AM

I have an ATI Radeon 4670 HD Video card and it is overheating. I have done some basic troubleshooting. 40c to 60c and the fan has been set to max 100% go. I have not really tried much more, passed testing certain software running and certain times to pinpoint what is causing the over heating.

I recently downloaded the new drivers, but could that be the cause. I have also ran the card with 50% fan in Ubuntu 10.4 LTS and no issues. This is a troubling thing. I use a lot of video intensive software and would like to have my card in working shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Karl88

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

Try to clean the dust...

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

I have an ATI Radeon 4670 HD Video card and it is overheating. I have done some basic troubleshooting. 40c to 60c and the fan has been set to max 100% go.

Those temperatures really aren't that bad. Are you experiencing problems that indicate overheating?

As max7bg suggested, you might want to take some canned air and blow out the heat sink and fan if you are experiencing symptoms of over heating.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Karl88

Karl88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

Well see that's the thing. I have been having soft stalls and video loss on my computer. It all started when I re installed Windows. I have been using my on-board GPU since every time I put my card in, I loose all video feed to my monitor. I tested the temp. through Catalyst Control Center.

As for cleaning the dust out, I have already done that. Other than maybe one or two dust bits, the computer is clean. I have been reading online that drivers might have something to with it, but it seems localized to the 9800 and two older cards.

Between soft stalls, loosing video and odd CPU spikes I am starting to think my computer would be going bad. ( CPU spikes are actually droped spikes. The CPU reads no use and goes silent right before the soft stalls. then 20 -30 seconds it all goes back to normal. In case, I use Avast Antivirus and Windows Firewall. )

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Karl

Edited by Karl88, 02 October 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

It all started when I re installed Windows.

Did you install the drivers after installing the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:03 AM

Dc3, he stated he recently installed the drivers in the initial post ;) Im assuming theyre the latest, heres my question, is this a replacement video card, and if it is, did he uninstall the drivers for the old card first? And I agree, 60C isnt that bad for that card, I would suspect driver issues as well, perhaps try uninstalling the new drivers and rolling back to the previous ones that worked if hes had it for awhile?

Edited by the_patriot09, 03 October 2010 - 12:08 AM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 Karl88

Karl88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

First thanks for all the help guys. Always came to BC for all my help back when I used linux and found this place an amazing resource for all things CTM virus related.

@dc3: I did a complete hard drive wipe and reinstalled windows, followed by drivers, and last all my software I use like Open office and Notepad++.
It technically was starting to happen before my fresh install of windows, it is part of the reason I did the reinstall to begin with. I have been suspecting hardware failure for some time now. Mainly in my motherboard and hard drive.

@Patriot: I will try to roll back on the drivers. See if that helps, if it is drivers I imagine that it will help, but if it doesn't, what do you feel the matter would be?
The problem to me is I am loosing video to my monitor when the card heats up. It may not be the card, but if not what could it be. My monitor is tip-top. The mother board maybe, like I said above I have thought my motherboard might be going for some time now. I am soon to be upgrading this PC and using this as a Linux-box for simple internet and media.

@everyone: I am going to keep you all posted on the progress that thank you all for the help.

[edited for content and grammar]

Edited by Karl88, 03 October 2010 - 06:49 PM.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:34 PM

do you by any chance have another video card to test in the system, or perhaps another system to try the video card in? that would probably be the easiest way to rule the video card out if the drivers are not the problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users