Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Service Pack 2 just installed - now taskbar missing!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 drunk with karma

drunk with karma

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:16 AM

So basically I've had this problem before (last night actually) - so I did a system restore and everything was fine. Over the last 24 hours I downloaded all of the XP updates from MS and finally I got to the point where I downloaded SP2 - I did that, clicked the install button, and went out for the night. Upon returning I have 2 problems that are happening: 1. My taskbar is gone and any minimized programs just sit on the desktop as opposed to going to the taskbar. I've tried the ctrl+esc option to no avail and I've also read through about 20 different posts on this site, watched multiple youtube videos, and have come to the conclusion that I may have more problems than just the taskbar missing. 2. I have no sound.

This is the same issue I ran into months ago before I stopped using this pc - I just turned it on again for the first time in 4 or 5 months last night and instead of doing a fresh format of my system I just used system restore. I now assume that these problems are ingrained in my system and I'm asking you for help. I'd run programs but I've read so many READ THIS FIRST articles on here that I'm completely unsure of what to do. I know that it's important that I only run programs when told so I'm basically waiting for your advice before I even start anything.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:37 AM

Do you have a copy of SP3? SP2 is really quite old, and you don't need it to upgrade to SP3.

#3 drunk with karma

drunk with karma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:54 AM

I don't. Should I download it now? I mean I can ctrl+alt+del to get to programs but I can't use the taskbar because.. it isn't there. Do you think the upgrade to SP3 will fix my taskbar/sound issues?

#4 ectech1

ectech1

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:53 AM

Can you see any desktop icons?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

If this is the same system where you opened a malware topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic293079.html, then I suggest that you send a PM to Schrauber and let him know that you are ready to pursue the issues discussed in that post.

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2010 - 08:57 AM.

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:51 AM

When you run the program Explorer.exe does your taskbar come back? Also, looking at your malware post, it looks as if you do indeed have a malware infection. Please have that post reopened or start a new thread. Either way, post your current logs again.

Lets get your computer disinfected and then work on these other issues.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

Do you have a copy of SP3? SP2 is really quite old.

More importantly, as of last July Microsoft is no longer supporting Windows XP unless you have SP3.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 drunk with karma

drunk with karma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

Yeah I can see the recycle bin. But that's the only icon I like to have on the desktop anyway.

Thanks for the head's up on the malware issue. I just turned this thing off until now and will try to get it reopened. Thanks again!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

Since you have an open malware thread which you are going to attend to...this thread is now closed.

In the event that you want it reopened once your potential malware issues are eliminated from consideration...just send a PM to me or any Mod and we will reopen it if the same issues still pertain.

This thread is now closed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users