Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format & reinstall XP Pro, Office 2007 etc on custom PC

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 redbecker

redbecker

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:21 AM

My work computer was built 7 or 8 years ago, by a shop that has since closed. It's showing it's age but still works pretty well so although I'm getting a new "main" computer, I want to keep this one for our other office. I've never formatted a computer but understand that should get rid of alot of accumulated "junk" slowing down my old one.
I'll save my documents, desktop, emails, calendar and contacts to an external hard drive. Should I save anything else?
I have my installation cd's for XP Pro, Office, monitor, printers etc and license numbers for programs downloaded online so reinstalling those should be okay.
What about the other components? Will Windows recognize and install drivers for the motherboard, cd burner, speakers and whatever else? I do have floppies (yes, it's that old) for some stuff but I'm not sure I have everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:30 AM

It would help if you were to post the specs for this computer.

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

Are you using integrated audio or graphics, or are there dedicated cards?

The only driver I can tell for sure that you will need will be the chipset drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:34 AM

Minimally you should download a network/modem driver, motherboard chipset driver, and video driver. Put them on a CD or USB Drive.

Your mouse and keyboard should work with default windows drivers.

That way you can at least get online and find the rest of the drivers you're missing without needing two computers.

#4 redbecker

redbecker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

I'm not sure if this is the info you need, I've saved just about everything that came with the computer, so here goes:
It has a ASUS P4B motherboard, which I do have the cd for. I also have a floppy for a Lava Parallel-PCI bus enhanced port, a cd for a VGA Driver for an Nvidia GeForce, and a floppy for a CD-RW Device Driver which I assume is for the Lite-on, drive "E."
I have a BOKA speaker system, which really doesn't matter much cuz I haven't had sound for about a year. Does that help? What other specs are needed?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

It looks like you have the drivers that you need.

Most optical devices are plug and play, they use drivers that are native to the operating system, so it's curious that you would have a CD with drivers for it.

You might think about wiping the hdd rather than reformatting it. A reformat will only affect the parts of the hdd that data has been stored on, where as wiping the hdd overwrites the entire hdd. This basically will leave you with a fresh slate to work with.

There's a program that I've used for several year call WipeDrive. If you are interested you can download it here.

Edited by dc3, 06 October 2010 - 12:34 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:30 PM

....... so it's curious that you would have a CD with drivers for it.

Might only be a version of Nero or perhaps Lite-Scribe burning software.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:42 AM

....... so it's curious that you would have a CD with drivers for it.

Might only be a version of Nero or perhaps Lite-Scribe burning software.

I know that there are some optical drives that have been out there for a while that came with firmware. But they also came with burning software like Nero, so you may be correct. Or we both may be correct. :thumbsup:

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:49 AM

You might think about wiping the hdd ................ will leave you with a fresh slate to work with.

That would be my recommendation also. Here are a couple of other (free) programs that will wipe the hard drive:

dban http://www.dban.org/download

killdisk http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

.......Or we both may be correct. :flowers:

or not. :thumbsup:

#10 redbecker

redbecker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:13 PM

Thank you everyone! I'm going to save the files what I want, which is probably more than I need, on my external hard drive and use one of the programs suggested to wipe the hard drive. I thought I'd install the motherboard first, is there a certain order I should use for the rest of it?
Let me know, I'm kinda excited about giving this a try! :thumbsup:

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

As long as you don't have an OEM (HP, Lenovo, etc.) system, the install should be straightforward.

After the install is done, the order of installing drivers, etc. is a personal choice. The Windows firewall is on by default as long as I am using a CD with at least SP2.

I make sure that I install the networking drivers first, since PA is the priority for me when I do a clean install.

Then...critical updates...then whatever.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users