Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Points Gone!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dpitch40

dpitch40

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

I just opened up System Restore and all my restore points from before a backup today were gone. I know they were being saved properly as I just checked them a few days ago and there were quite a few. I appear to be able to create and save new points (there is one from earlier today), but I really want to know what happened to delete all my old ones. Could it be malware? When my allocated space for system restore is full, it just overwrites the oldest points rather than starting over, right?

Also, a related question for once they're working, is there any way to change the frequency of saving System Restore points and what triggers their creation? So many are being created by installing stuff/daily backups that my oldest ones when I checked before were less than a week old; I'd like to be able to go back a bit farther. Can the task scheduler control this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

One way I know restore points can be unexpectedly deleted is by running Defraggler. It still happens to me occasionally. It had something to do with the "Volume Shadow Disk Copy Service...something something".

Also, a "disk cleanup" could wipe out restore points. Do you use any programs like that?

When my allocated space for system restore is full, it just overwrites the oldest points rather than starting over, right?

Correct. And you can change how much space is allocated.

Can the task scheduler control this?

As a matter of fact, it can! :huh:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 dpitch40

dpitch40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

Cool, thanks. I've decided my laptop is overdue for a clean install of Windows 7, so that should fix whatever deleted my system restore points. I'll be sure to check out the task scheduler for after the clean install.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

Cheers. :huh:

Yeah, I typically do a clean install about every 6 months just to keep things tidy. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users