Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Questons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grandpaw7

grandpaw7

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:24 AM

My OE quit downloading new Hotmail on Oct 21. I restored to Oct 19 and OE works okay.

Is there any way of trying to track down what happened to disable OE on Oct 21?

Ifin the future I should restore to a date after Oct 21, can I figure that I am restoring whatever the problem was so that OE may no longer work?

I'm not sure of what I lost by restoring to Oct 21. I naturally am glad I lost the problem, but I'm not sure of what else I might have lost that I might want to get back. Maybe someone could enlighten me and others.

Thanks, grandpaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

Did you install new hardware software on Oct 21? If so there may be a problem with that.

If not then this maybe a virus or malware problem. Do you have an anti-virus program and at least one spyware program with up to date definitions?

You should not have lost any saved data by rolling back. If you think the system is running properly and no infections from viruses or malware, you can go back to the system restore window and manually do a restore point.

If the problem is cleared up you should be able to use restore points created after Oct 21 without worrying about what caused this problem.

There are more robust ways of backing up your system that the system restore in xp. These can backup os, programs and data.

#3 grandpaw7

grandpaw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:50 PM

Thanks, franktii, for your input. I have this question. The System Restore program showing what restore points there are also says why the point was put there, such as "system check point", "software distribution service", or "install something or other". So, if none of the restore points after Oct 21 were for installing something, can I safely assume that no programs or applications were installed? I say this because, while I don't recall installing any programs or applications after Oct 21, I have a terrible memory.

I did download some attachments which from a friend who likes to email stuff to me. I presume that if I downloaded something which got permanently on my hard drive, that would cause the creation of a restore point; is that correct?

Anyhow, a number of restore points have been created after Oct 21, so I presume that I don't need to create another one. Does that make sense?

I do use AVG freeware, along with MSAntiSpyWare, SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard,and I also had Panda's and Trend's free scans take a look at things, and I ran SpyBot and AdAware. No virus reported. There was some spyware that was removed.

But a question: a friend of mine said that I should close System Restore so as to get rid of all existing restore points, reopen it and create a new restore point. I hestitate to get rid of all prior restore points because I'm not smart enough to be sure I won't need them some time. Do you see any need to do as my friend suggested, that is, get rid of all existing restore points?
Thanks, grandpaw

Edited by grandpaw7, 16 November 2005 - 08:13 PM.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:46 PM

Do you see any need to do as my friend suggested, that is, get rid of all existing restore points?

Absolutely NOT. The consensus here, I believe, is the system restore points are a valuable safety net and users should not turn off system restore unless they are advised to do so by a malware expert.

At Bleeping Computer a "malware expert" would be someone on the HJT Team or one of the Moderators or Admins.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 grandpaw7

grandpaw7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:50 PM

Thank you, Rimmer. I was leery of doing it, but wanted someone else's advise. grandpaw

#6 crazeebob2000

crazeebob2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

Thank you, Rimmer. I was leery of doing it, but wanted someone else's advise. grandpaw

The only reason I have heard for turning off system restore is to get rid of a virus that has got into a restore point. But always turn it back on after the virus is gone.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:14 AM

You're welcome grandpaw

crazeebob - you are correct, that is a valid reason for tuning off system restore. But it's best to let people who know what they are doing determine whether that's really what is going on, right?

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users