Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do I receive partial messages over a socket?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sjs

sjs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hi, I have a software that is listening on a port for incoming messages. But about half of the time I receive a duplicate incomplete message followed by the full message. The sender claims that their records show only one full message was transmitted each time followed by an acknowledgment from my application so I'm thinking they are definitely not sending the duplicates. These duplicates seem to be truncated at random locations along the message so the ending is always missing so my application just discards them. But about a millisecond later I receive the full message anyway.

Does anyone know what would cause this behavior? I can provide more details about the system if that will help but all I know right now is its running Windows 2000 on a virtual server.

Thanks to anyone that can offer any ideas on what the problem might be.

Edited by sjs, 29 September 2010 - 08:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users