Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempt to reset display driver failed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 morrjt

morrjt

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

Hello,
I have a HP Pavilion dv6 with an Intel i7 720 and an AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card. The computer is only three months old and every once in a while a blue screen will pop up. The blue screen says: Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed. I believe it is error: 0x0000011E. The blue screen only pops up seldomly while I am on the internet. All but one time it happened when I was watching a video on either Yahoo, ESPN, or Youtube. I recently updated the driver from AMD's website but the problem is still occurring. Any help would be greatly appreciated and let me know if any more information is needed. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

Did you try to reinstall video driver?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

ATI boards have a built in power saving setting that lowers the clock-rate when under a low load condition in 2D graphics, such as videos. I had this problem and it resulted in display driver timeouts and choppy video. My GPU clock was dropping from 850 to 157 MHz. I had to open the CCC overdrive and increase my GPU clock to 875 MHz (the lowest increase possible). Now under low load 2D videos and graphics the GPU clock only drops to 400 MHz and everything works fine.

#4 morrjt

morrjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

I downloaded the recent driver available on the HP support and driver website, but not on the AMD website. And I do not think my GPU had Overdrive because it is not in CCC. Should I download the drivers from the AMD website?

#5 Mike8472

Mike8472

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

Make sure when you download new drivers, to uninstall the old ones before you install the new one. Uninstall it, then boot up in safe mode and run Driver Sweeper to make sure all of it is gone. If the old driver is not uninstalled before you install the new one, this may cause problems.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

The computer is only three months old

Call HP.
It's better to check it now, when you're still under warranty.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users