Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ddr & Gddr3 Graphics Crads And Ram Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Slixk Rick

Slixk Rick

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:55 AM

I bought a GateWay 550 GR about a year ago and suddenly it has all gone to crap. I took it in because My Power Supply fried My Motherboard. Then I got it back from best buy and I put a 512 MB Corsair Pro Series XMS PC3200 400Mhz CL2 RAM and an Audigy 4 64bit sound card Installed by yours Truly. All though I may not be an expert, I think I can Install Ram and a sound card perfectly fine. Well, I fire it up and it turns on for like 4 seconds and BLAM, its off. Try it again and again and still. Then It will Finally stay Running but will not read my 100% workin monitor and will just run. It doesn't boot or anything. I take it back to bestbuy and tell them they didn't fix and it still doesn't work :thumbsup:. Well I get it back and It turns on without the New RAM and SoundCard. Get the balls to do it again and BLAM! Same Problem. I take it back again and tell them they didn't fix it and it does the same thing . So What is the Deal here. Is My CPU compatible with the RAM. I WAS ALSO TOLD I INSTALLED THE RAM UPSIDE DOWN AND IT FRIED MY STUFF. PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.

HERE ARE MY 550 GR SPECS

Processor Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz
Chipset Intel 915 G
Installed Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Recommended Use Home Use
Processor Type Intel Pentium 4
Processor Speed 3.2 GHz
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Socket Type Socket LGA775
Processor Upgradability Upgradable
Installed Qty 1
Max Processors Qty. 1
Motherboard
Bus Speed 800 MHz
Video Output Interface PCI Express
Memory
RAM Technology DDR SDRAM
Installed RAM 512 MB
Max Supported RAM 2 GB
Number of Memory Slots 4 x DIMMs
Installed Video Memory 128 MB
Supported RAM Speeds 400 MHz 333 MHz
Installed Cache Memory 1 MB
Technical Features
Integrated Input/Output Ports USB 2.0 x 7 FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 3 Serial Port x 1 RJ45 Lan Port x 1 PS/2 Mouse x 1 PS/2 Keyboard x 1 Parallel Port (ECP/EPP/SPP) x 1 Floppy Port x 1 RJ11 Phone Jack x 1 (Input)
Expansion Bays 2 x 3.5" (External Access) 4 x 3.5" (External Access)
Expansion Slots PCI Express x16 x 1 PCI Express x1 x 1 PCI x 2
Power Configurations ACPI/APM Power Management Suspend to RAM Wakeup from Keyboard/Mouse
Other Features Hyper Thread Technology Ready
Hard Drive
Hard Drive Capacity 200 GB
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA
Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7,200 RPM
Controller Type Serial ATA DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra)
Audio / Video
Graphic Processor ATI RADEON X300 SE
Integrated Audio Intel High Definition Audio Subsystem
Modem
Modem Type Fax / Modem
Networking
Networking Type Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Data Link Protocol Ethernet Fast Ethernet

I HAVE 1 MORE EASY QUESTION. I bought a Connect 3D Radeon X800 XL / 256MB GDDR3 / PCI Express / Crossfire Ready / DVI / VGA / TV-Out / Video Card Today and was wondering if It is also Compatible with my system. it runs GDDR3 RAM and it kinda worries me.

WELL I LOOK FORWARD TO SOME FEED BACK AND ANSWERS SO LAY IT ON ME WHENEVER YOU CAN. I NEED SERIOUS HELP SO PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHATS UP HERE. THANKS A LOT.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:35 AM

Well I've taken a quick look at the Gateway specs page here and it doesn't say anything about your power supply capabilities. If your adding a honking graphics card your PSU better be up to it. Some of the people here say you want 500+ Watts if your going to play, but I've no personal experience.

I WAS ALSO TOLD I INSTALLED THE RAM UPSIDE DOWN

Did you use a hammer? If not I doubt you could have done that.

No doubt someone more familiar with your machine will be able to help you soon.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:38 AM

I had a similar problem last summer (04'). It turrned out to be a capasitor is the CPU's power supply. As soon as it would start up it would overload and should. They are little can shaped items, usally 3-5 of tem next to the CPU. In my case they had a phycial detect. They was one that was barrel shaped. It had blow out the sides.
I cannot say if this is your problem, but if it is I do not think it can be repaired. The reason is because of how motherboards are constructed.
I hope I'm wrong but it is something to look at.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:57 AM

I HAVE 1 MORE EASY QUESTION. I bought a Connect 3D Radeon X800 XL / 256MB GDDR3 / PCI Express / Crossfire Ready / DVI / VGA / TV-Out / Video Card Today and was wondering if It is also Compatible with my system. it runs GDDR3 RAM and it kinda worries me.

If there is a PCI-e slot in your computer, you're fine. The RAM on your computer and the RAM on your video card are two completely different things. The only time you should be worried about the RAM on your vid card, is when it shares the RAM from your physical RAM. Get what I'm saying? Because I'm known to lose a whole lotta people when I try to explain things.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 Slixk Rick

Slixk Rick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:02 AM

So if it ran From the RAM I bought(The XMS Corsair RAM) Would it Ruin things. Im not sure if it does run with physical ram or not.

Edited by Slixk Rick, 15 November 2005 - 03:03 AM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:41 AM

Im not sure if it does run with physical ram or not.

If "it" is the video card, it does NOT use your mainboard RAM (system RAM). It is only onboard video which uses system RAM. It's not optional.

That's part of the reason why people pay $$$ to get a good video card, because it has dedicated, fast RAM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Slixk Rick

Slixk Rick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:35 AM

All Rite Coo man Thnaks. Im Glad My Video card will work. About the Other Probs Im still unsure.

#8 chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 05:32 AM

Open your case and look at the side of your power supply, see how many watts it is and how many amps are on the +12 volt. I very much doubt that a stick of memory and a sound card would be enough to send your power supply over the edge, but check anyway, plus if you wanna add that new vid card you will need a decent power source. 400watts+ and 20+amps on 12volt rail will run it all easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users