Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brother MFC-490CW Offline w/Uverse

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BizInBlueJeans

BizInBlueJeans

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

I have AT&T Uverse and am attempting to reconnect my Brother MFC-490CW to the wireless network after an ill-advised attempt to move the AT&T router to a room where the Ethernet wall jack apparently wasn't installed properly. The router is now back in its original location and is connecting; we have three computers all working properly and connecting to the internet wirelessly (2 Windows laptops- 1 using Vista, 1 using 7; 1 Mac desktop). The only thing AT&T hasn't been able to help us get working is the Brother MFC-490CW printer.

The printer displays as "offline" on all three computers. It was working perfectly previous to the router move.

I have spoken with Brother technical support and they had me reset to factory settings and re-connect to the router. In the Network Configuration report printout, it showed that the Wireless Link Status was "Link OK" but displayed an APIPA (169.254.x.x) IP address. Brother said I needed to call Uverse and make sure the router was DHCP enabled, because the printed wasn't able to locate a valid IP address.

I called AT&T Uverse support and DHCP was enabled. They tried changing the setup to Open Authentication with WEP, and all the computers are now back online with the new setup, but the printer is still offline, now displaying its IP address as 0.0.0.0. So...any ideas?

I would just connect to the printer with a USB cable until I can figure this out, except that the USB port on the printer looks like it's for the flat USB plug, and all of mine are one side flat, one side square, and my laptops require the flat side (is there such a thing as a USB cable with two flat plugs or am I missing something here?)

TIA,
Susan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BizInBlueJeans

BizInBlueJeans
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

Update:
This morning I woke up with the realization that the USB port on front of the printer is for a thumb drive. Hooray! I grabbed my drive, copied my files over to it, and put the drive in the port...then discovered the printer only prints photos that way. Argh!

So I thought to myself, "Surely Brother wouldn't make a printer that you can't connect a cable to. I started hunting and out of frustration, lifted the cover. The USB port is INSIDE the printer. INSIDE. Unreal. At least I'm able to print by taking the computer to the printer and connecting via USB now, though. Still can't get the wireless connection to work, but for now, I can print old school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users