Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer - how to change name

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 glynnmania

glynnmania

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

Hi everyone,

My office just gave me a laptop that was used by a previous employee. How do I change the name of the computer from hers to mine?

Also, there are no backup disks for the computer. If I want to reformat the hard drive, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

What is the make and model number of the computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

Compaq presario v6000

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

That model should have a recovery partition which will allow you to wipe the computer clean and return it to its "factory" condition. To do this reboot the computer and press F11 when the BIOS screen appears. The follow the on-screen instructions.

More details are given on their website: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...eWithoutWindows
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the help. Any idea how to fix question one?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

If you have administrator rights, or if they haven't been assigned, you can change the name of the computer in the control panel under User Accounts.

There is a recovery partition on the hard drive of this computer, but to use it will take it back to the factory settings. This means that any Microsoft updates, including the important service packs, will be gone. Any non-Windows applications, photos, videos, or documents will be gone as well.

I would suggest trying to delete what you don't want, and then reconsider if it is worth the drastic change back to the factory settings.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

How to change a computer name, join a domain, and add a computer description in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

That's certainly good advice about reformatting. I just want to know how to do it without the disk in the event that I need to. I have changed the name in the user accounts and when I right click on the c drive. However it still show's up as 'melissa's computer' in reference to the my documents folder, on the network, etc.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

You could try creating a new user account with the name you want and then delete the old user account.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 glynnmania

glynnmania
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

What would happen with all the files in my documents?

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

You will need to copy all the files over to the new account before deleting the old account.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:59 PM

Guess I should't butt in here where the heavy weight have trod but I will.

I have not had occasion to try this. If you are leery of trying it wait for someone elses advice.

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\ Current Version.

(navigate by doubleclicking each of these.) In the right pane, you'll see RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner in the Name column. Right-click the one you want to change, select Modify, and on the Value Data line of the resulting dialog box, type the correct information. Click OK, repeat these steps for the other value, if desired, and close the Registry Editor

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

My Docs belongs to Docs & Settings. I believe that what Budapest stated is your best alternative, since that's the only way that you might be able to get rid of any Docs & Settings folders. Changing the system name and owner won't do that.

Louis

#14 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

My 2 cents

Do not change a computer name that was given to you by your company. If you do, you may not be able to get to the domain (unless you are the domain admin), as the computer will have to rejoin the domain with the new computer name.

Also you may not want to deal with the IT Admin and have to explain why you changed a computer name.

Edit: Also if this computer shares anything with the network, then those that have made shortcuts to the shares will not be able to access them, as the computer name has been changed.

Edited by nitekram, 29 September 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

Very good points...I forgot that this is a business computer, thanks :thumbsup:.

To OP: Your workplace doesn't have someone in charge of IT? Isn't there someone with control over/responsibility for...these work systems?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users