Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bojac

Bojac

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:31 AM

so i reinstaled xp and like mydocuments was replaced this was an undesierable affect, but they space that all the stuff in my documents is still taken up, "my documents" took up a bit of space gb wise but how can i get to those files seeing as how they still take up my hard drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:43 AM

Windows Explorer is the best tool for handling files. Start>All programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer.

In the left hand pane it shows you drives and folders, in the rh pane it shows the contents of whatever you select in the left.

The old files could be hidden. Here is a tutorial on viewing hidden files: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...dows-tut62.html

Do you know if your hard drive is partitioned for NTFS of FAT32?

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Bojac

Bojac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:50 AM

If only they were hidden it would be so easy but no. All of that stuff is in computer limbo it simply isn't there but it still takes up harddrive space. huh

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:12 PM

if it is taking up space it is there somewhere.

when you reinstalled windows xp you may have created a new account, so the old files won't be visible.

Log on as administrator, if you have xp home you must log on in safe mode to get into administrator account. Then search for missing files, if you find them move them out of the users folder and into a folder under the c drive.

When you log back on to the new account you can then get into this folder and arrange the files to your liking

#5 Bojac

Bojac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:54 PM

I will give it a shot hope it works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users