Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quickbooks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kairi2

kairi2

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:42 PM

I've never used Quickbooks before, but my mom does for her business. I'm the go-to tech support for my family, but I have no idea what to do in this case. This is what she needs:

Would like you to recover my 2007,2008, 2009 and 2010 info on Quick books. It automatically saves when I enter data, but I've concluded that when I "restore" I've lost the data. I haven't lost it all, but can't figure out how to get to 2007 and 2008.

So sometime soon, could you come over and take my disk, Quick book prgram and copy my desktop icons and recover my data?

Can anyone tell me how to help her?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

I suggest the first thing you'll need to do is find out why she's using "restore". This copies a backup over the top of the current company file. Any data in the current database that does not exist in the backup will disappear.

The main cause for repeated use of restore that I've seen is transferring the database between two computers, one at the business premises and another at home for after-hours processing. Doing this means you have to be careful managing the process so data is only ever changed on one computer at a time. However it should not cause any loss of older records.

Quickbooks doesn't close yearly accounts, you just generate reports by date range to produce figures for any given year. However to limit the size of company file this can cause, previous years data can be compressed. If this has been done, individual transactions can no longer be accessed, you can only generate category totals in reports. This could give the impression data has been lost. If that's what has happened, in order to access old transactions and be able to generate reports like weekly or monthly activity, you need to be able to temporarily restore an older backup from before the year's accounts were compressed.

I hope she has always stored away regular backups of the company file so that this sort of thing can be handled. If a proper backup regimen has not been followed, there can be a world of pain. Another thing to check is if audit tracking is turned on. That records every change that is made to the company file, and could prove important if forensic recovery is needed or obviously in case of an audit occurring.

It's been a good few years since I've used QuickBooks, so that's probably about all I can suggest at first thought, someone else will no doubt be more up-to-date and know more than I do. And there are also QuickBooks resources and forums you could check out e.g.:

http://community.intuit.com/quickbooks

http://forums.quickbooksusers.com/index.php

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users