Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop computer gets kncoked off internet daily

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bostonblackie

bostonblackie

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:28 PM

I have a cable modem and Cisco linksys router set up so other computers in my house can use them to get online through this home network. Seemed to work OK until recently but now it seems my laptop computer (a Compag Presario CQ61 Notebook computer with an AMD Athlon 2 Dual Core M320 2.10 GHZ processor and 3 GB RAM memory 64 bit OS and Windows 7 Home Premium with a Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n WLAN. Security type is WPA2-PSK. The laptop is one of three computers in the house and is NOT connected directly to the cable modem and router.

For the last month or two it seems I get knocked offline and have to reset the router and/or modem to get back online about once each day, mostly in the afternoon. When i check the internet icon in the tray, it seems I find that instead of the home network icon (my SSID which has a "house" icon) there is a "public network" icon (like a park bench). There are other SSID names listed of other computers that neighbors use (signal strength is usually fair to poor while mine says excellent). Sometimes this seems to happen when someone is using the main computer that is hooked up to the cable modem and router but not always. I've never had to reset the modem or router so often before.

Is there anyway to check to see what might be causing this and fix the problem?

William

Edited by bostonblackie, 29 September 2010 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 APForever

APForever

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

With wireless, if there are other PCs on your network using Wireless also you will be sharing the wireless signal with them. The closer you are and clearest path to the wireless router tends to recieve better signal, compared to someone on the other side of the house. There are a few things you can try.

1. Change your wireless router's broadcast channel. Most are set to default on "Auto", try 1, 6, or 11. The key is finding a frequency very seldom used by other devices in the range of your wireless. You will have to connect to the admin console for your router to do this.

2. If above doesn't hold your connection constant, try using a different security encryption. If there is an encryption stronger than the one your previously using try that. Make sure each of the PCs connected to the router can support that type of Wireless encryption. Do not use WEP, can be cracked in minutes. If your router supports WPA2-AES, use it with a long password, is nearly uncrackable.

3. Make sure your router is up to date with the latest firmware.

#3 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

So what else could be knocking my laptop off the Home network and to a Public unidentified network? Something is causing the home network to go to the unidentified network. Fact is I just had to reset the router just before typing this message. After doing that I usually don't have any problems for the rest of the day. It's usually between 1 and 3 PM eastern time that this happens.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 08 October 2010 - 05:39 PM

So what else could be knocking my laptop off the Home network and to a Public unidentified network? Something is causing the home network to go to the unidentified network.

The laptop is going to an unidentified network, or your SSID is changing as unidentified?

As was already stated, you need to change your channel to 1, 6, or 11(if it's already, say 6, change to 1 or 11 and vice versa.)

#5 chrisatbluescreen

chrisatbluescreen

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

The laptop is going to an unidentified network, or your SSID is changing as unidentified?

There's the one million dollar question. because the possibility you are dropping your signal and reverting to whatever network is next on the preffered list arrises when you
ask a question like that. that being said, you'll probably need a reset. ask your isp to reset from their end.
"What I cannot create, I do not understand"
Richard Feynman
Posted Image

#6 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

When I unplug the router for a few seconds and then plug it back in, I get back online. Usually for the rest of the day.

What puzzles me is that I seem to get knocked from my SSID to an unidentified network about once a day and never at the same exact time but usually it happens in the afternoon. No one is using a cell phone or microwave oven when it happens (I dont get knocked offline when a cell phone is used). And it never happened this often before. I called the cable company and they don't know why it happens either.

#7 bostonblackie

bostonblackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

Forgot to mention that the main desktop computer that the cable modem and cisco router are connected to- is usually still online when my laptop goes from "home network" (my SSID) to "unidentified network" and knocks me offline. And occasionally it happens when the main desktop computer isn't even turned on and running.

#8 HighDesertBum

HighDesertBum

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

Forgot to mention that the main desktop computer that the cable modem and cisco router are connected to- is usually still online when my laptop goes from "home network" (my SSID) to "unidentified network" and knocks me offline. And occasionally it happens when the main desktop computer isn't even turned on and running.

It could be that both systems are trying to use the same IP address and the wireless computer is having difficulties accepting a new one through DHCP. You could provide either computer with a static IP address somewhere in the higher numbers so that your router won't assign it again. If you use your laptop in a lot of different places, it might be better to give the static IP address to the desktop computer to see if this alleviates the issue. Myself, personally, would try adding the static IP to the laptop first as a test and then go from there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users