Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About anti-viruses

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PinoyNoob

PinoyNoob

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:56 PM

My Laptop has an antivirus called Microsoft Security Essentials. I think when we bought the laptop the antivirus was already installed. As a use this antivirus so far so good. It can track and delete viruses/trojans.

But I have a copy of Norton AntiVirus 2011 and I want to use it on my laptop.
Is it okay to use both of them or should I remove my old antivirus?

Which is better to use Microsoft Security Essentials or Norton AntiVirus 2011 ?

That's it :thumbsup:

Edited by hamluis, 29 September 2010 - 02:31 PM.
Moved from Vista forum to AV, Firewall, Privacy Protection, etc. ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ectech1

ectech1

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Norton AntiVirus 2011 is a better product then Microsoft Security Essentials. I'd remove the old and install the new.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:29 PM

I'm not sure I would agree with the preceding evaluation...but I see no point in paying for an AV program when there are free AV programs that are just as recognizably efficient...and without the heavy footprint your paid AV installation would have.

Louis

#4 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

Is it okay to use both of them

No, only one antivirus should be installed at any one time.

Edited by KingOfIdiocy, 29 September 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#5 L-DNA

L-DNA

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

Traditional AntiVirus software is fast becoming useless. If you are going to invest in security software you should choose one which is cloud based.

Norton 2011 and PrevX are both excellent cloud products, especially when used together. Kaspersky is good but I personally don't like their software. Immunet and Panda both offer good free cloud anti-virus. BluePoint anti-virus is also cloud based and has been proving itself to be #1 at preventing treats, although its pretty new.

If you have the money then Norton 2011 and PrevX together would be your best bet ;)

Edited by L-DNA, 29 September 2010 - 04:31 PM.

#6 L-DNA

L-DNA

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

I'm not sure I would agree with the preceding evaluation...but I see no point in paying for an AV program when there are free AV programs that are just as recognizably efficient...and without the heavy footprint your paid AV installation would have.

Louis

There isn't a free anti-virus product worth having, thats why people pay.

#7 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

There isn't a free anti-virus product worth having, thats why people pay.

:thumbsup:

#8 zsazso

zsazso

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

I believe you'll find, if you check the comparatives and forums, that there are a few free AVs that are well worth having. There are also a few premium AVs (paid) that you might not use, even if they were free. Just my two cents.

#9 22bags

22bags

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

While doing a health product investigation I was infected by a number of viral programs.

I had Norton Security Suite on my machine at the time of infection and it spotted and blocked a number of the problems but was not able to completely clear my computer of the infection. I even paid for the remote access with Norton and they located much of the issue but were not able to the source of browser hijacking. My problem was eventually elevated to the research team and they concluded I would need an on-site technician to do the removal.

While looking for a certified technician in my area I downloaded the TDSS killer from Kaspersky and Microsoft Security Essentials and gave them a try (why not they were free). The TDSS killer failed, but the Microsoft Security Essentials quick scan succeeded in spotting and eliminating the trojan.

My point here is that much depends on the nature of your travels on the internet and the extent of the risky behaviors you might indulge in. It helps to keep a number of tools in your toolbox. They all tend to have there unique search algorithms and you never know which one will do the trick.

My machine is finally back to normal and I decided to go with Norton Security Suite as my stand alone. I keep Microsoft Security Essentials on my machine but it is set not to be active. I will use it if there are any symptoms that show up.

22bags

#10 L-DNA

L-DNA

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

I believe you'll find, if you check the comparatives and forums, that there are a few free AVs that are well worth having. There are also a few premium AVs (paid) that you might not use, even if they were free. Just my two cents.

Stand alone anti virus products (free or paid) have been proven to be as little as 28% affective against new threats. As a stand alone solutions they are no good. I really don't see the point in even using anti virus if there is such a great chance of missing highly dangerous threats. Good protection comes when you combined a traditional anti virus engine, a cloud, strong hips, solid firewall, behaviour blocker, and even a sandbox. Maybe then you stand half a chance of stopping malware. Products with this level of technology require a lot of development, and money.

I suppose there are free applications which will do all these things but the average joe doesn't want to be missing around with 7+ free different applications and keeping up to date the latest software when you can install one suite and have done. Comodo IS is the only free security software I would use but I don't think it will be too long before free becomes $25 a year.

#11 PinoyNoob

PinoyNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:56 AM

Okay thanks for the tips guys.
For now I will continue using my Microsoft Security Essentials :thumbsup:

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.Supplement your anti-virus by performing scans with trustworthy security tools like:For a list of more tools, please see Bleeping Computer's:You can also get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

Comodo IS is the only free security software I would use but I don't think it will be too long before free becomes $25 a year.

Whatever makes you think that?
James

#14 PinoyNoob

PinoyNoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:19 AM

Am I really protected with my Windows Vista Firewall? or should I download a new one ??

What do you think?

#15 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:34 AM

Am I really protected with my Windows Vista Firewall? or should I download a new one ??

I think you are fine with that, but some would definitely disagree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users