Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual monitor trouble with new mobo?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 newarrior

newarrior

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

Hey all! I'm not sure quite where to put this thread, so hopefully this is the right spot. It could be the video card, motherboard, Win7, or something else acting up.

I recently put together a new computer and installed Windows 7. I used two monitors on my old computer (XP), the regular monitor hooked up to the DVI port and my TV hooked up to the VGA port on my video card. I used the same card on my new machine at first, and recently replaced it with a newer Nvidia 460 card. I've had this same trouble on both cards, however. When I have both the monitor and tv hooked up, occasionally, the monitor (the primary display) will lose it's signal and power down, and the desktop will transfer over to the tv. After a few seconds, the monitor will power back on and the video will transfer back, with all the windows at the changed resolution of the tv (it's an older HD tv, and the hdmi port is busted on it). This *only* happens when I have the vga plugged in, though. It's never happened after I unplug the vga cord from the video card, and it never happened over the past few years when I've had the other computer. Any ideas? Thanks! :thumbsup:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5rCnsq3iuSyr3ZibnDVZaW5

Edited by newarrior, 29 September 2010 - 11:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I believe I have followed your description closely, so here goes.

Have you checked your device manager to see if there is a hardware conflict?

I know we are NOT looking at a hardware problem or heat related problem here, because as you stated above this Nvidia 460 card is a different card with the same issues as the original one you had.

If you do not find an answer here, try checking system information for sharing conflicts.

If nothing is showing up here, one of the devices you are using for video display is causing the problem, computer monitors do communicate with the computer and this may also be the case with this tv you speak of.

In case your are a bit lost here, just the fact that Speccy is listing your monitor and HD2201 is proof the video display devices communicate with the computer as well as the computer communicating with the display devices.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 newarrior

newarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

Thanks, I'll check for conflicts tonight and see if anything pops out at me.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

Okay I'll be watching for your reply.

If device manager checks out Okay and there are no issues there, we may be looking at your TV and monitor as the culprits, like I said, we seldom over look the fact that when it comes to video devices, the communication is a 2 way street, the monitor sends information back to the computer via the video interface, just as the interface sends video to the monitor.

This is how your computer is getting your monitors hardware ID number and thus the monitors make and model number.

There could be a conflict with this scenario you are using.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 newarrior

newarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Bruce,

No hardware conflicts that I can see.

I updated my Speccy with the TV plugged in: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bLsaVTxjDeBogbu6O61Fi21

Thanks for your help!

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

Please check this link and tell me if this is your monitor. http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668252.php

If this is your monitor listed at the link above, can you please tell me what make and model number the TV is and if you are using the HDMI connection on the TV. If this is NOT the case, how exactly are you getting the signal from the video card to the TV?

Here is the Nvidia GeForce 460 GTX Windows 7 64 Bit driver. http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista...hql-driver.html

Your Speccy report also lists a Generic NON PLUG AND PLAY MONITOR. I am curious what this device is.

Is this the TV? Or is it a device that connects to the TV. I believe you stated you have a problem with the HDMI connecters this is a line from your opening post. (it's an older HD tv, and the hdmi port is busted on it).

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 September 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#7 newarrior

newarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:33 PM

Please check this link and tell me if this is your monitor. http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668252.php

That is my monitor, correct.

If this is your monitor listed at the link above, can you please tell me what make and model number the TV is and if you are using the HDMI connection on the TV. If this is NOT the case, how exactly are you getting the signal from the video card to the TV?

Here is the Nvidia GeForce 460 GTX Windows 7 64 Bit driver. http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista...hql-driver.html

Your Speccy report also lists a Generic NON PLUG AND PLAY MONITOR. I am curious what this device is.

Is this the TV? Or is it a device that connects to the TV. I believe you stated you have a problem with the HDMI connecters this is a line from your opening post. (it's an older HD tv, and the hdmi port is busted on it).

Bruce.

For my tv, I'm using the VGA port since the HDMI connector on the tv isn't working. The TV is a Protron PLTV-3750, and that is the Non-Plug and Play Monitor. I'm using the most current drivers.

#8 newarrior

newarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:14 AM

Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

It appears your thread was over looked for a few days.

Sorry about that, you should have PMed me to get my attention back to your thread, sometimes a thread gets pushed over to the next page and gets over looked.

I seriously do not mind PMs from members who I have already started offering assistance to.

With that being said, let me see if we can get this problem resolved.

Bruce.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

Okay lets review what is happening here, this is my way of thinking out loud in a public forum board, so don't mind me. LOL

We have an GeForce 460 GTX video card to which has a VGA graphics port and a DVI port.

You have a regular computer monitor hooked up to the DVI port. My question here is does your monitor have a DVI connector or are you using an adapter on the monitor's VGA plug to convert it to DVI?

We also have a TV set connected to this card's VGA port (which is the Primary display)

I need you to explain to me how you are converting the VGA (Video signal) to work with what I believe is a connection to the RCA phono jacks on the TV. I am assuming you are using the Televison sets LINE-IN RCA (White, Red and Yellow) jacks, does this sound about right?

If you are using the line-in jacks on the televison set, how are you converting the video signal from the computer's VGA port to the RCA jacks on the televison set?

Bruce.

#11 newarrior

newarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

Okay lets review what is happening here, this is my way of thinking out loud in a public forum board, so don't mind me. LOL

We have an GeForce 460 GTX video card to which has a VGA graphics port and a DVI port.

You have a regular computer monitor hooked up to the DVI port. My question here is does your monitor have a DVI connector or are you using an adapter on the monitor's VGA plug to convert it to DVI?

We also have a TV set connected to this card's VGA port (which is the Primary display)

I need you to explain to me how you are converting the VGA (Video signal) to work with what I believe is a connection to the RCA phono jacks on the TV. I am assuming you are using the Televison sets LINE-IN RCA (White, Red and Yellow) jacks, does this sound about right?

If you are using the line-in jacks on the televison set, how are you converting the video signal from the computer's VGA port to the RCA jacks on the televison set?

Bruce.

Bruce,

Thanks again for the reply.

The monitor supports DVI input, so no adapter on the DVI.

The TV has a VGA port, I'm just running the VGA straight from the video card to the TV. The TV has a "VGA" display mode, which is what I use when I need to expand the computer's display to the TV. My normal TV functions (like Tivo and my 360) are hooked up via Component.

When I get home tonight, I'll post some screen shots of my Nvidia control panel setup, see if there's anything weird going on there. I notice in the newer version, it auto sets up for multiple monitors. On my older computer, I had to actually set it up myself. This new version does not have that option.

[EDIT] Oh, there was one more thing. I've now noticed that when I have the TV plugged in, when I reboot, the bios and loading information displays on the TV until Windows starts loading, and then it switches to the monitor. I've looked around my BIOS, but I don't see anything that might be causing this, although I do admit I'm a bit of a noob. :thumbsup:

Edited by newarrior, 13 October 2010 - 12:01 PM.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Okay, I would appreciate the screen shots as those will be helpful.

If I do not reply to your post after you post those screen shots, please feel free to PM me.

Sometimes I loose track of the thread, so it is certainly Okay to PM me letting me know you posted those.

Bruce.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

I am just letting you know I seen your edit above where you added another paragraph to the bottom of your post. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

#14 newarrior

newarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

Looking over the site for the motherboard, I see I'm running an older BIOS version (v5, newest is v7). I'll try updating the BIOS tonight as well.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-p...441&dl=1#ov

#15 newarrior

newarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

So here's my Nvidia Multiple Display page with the two screens connected.

Posted Image

While I was taking screen shots, it actually shut down the monitor and moved the screen over to the tv like normal. I took another screen shot of that page, as well.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users