Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help w/ my slow computer. I think I've been hacked.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cartec

Chris Cartec

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

Hello, my desktop computer has been real slow lately when I'm online. I opened task manager and noticed that I have 12 svchost.exe processes running at same time, some use 74,000K of memory or more. Total processes running in task manager are usually around 50.I don't think this is normal especially when I didn't have any web browsers open or any other online programs running. I did an AV scan yesterday and found 5 viruses. My AV program quarantined the files.
I would like to know the best steps to take to get my PC healthy again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris :thumbsup:

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have!

Edited by Chris Cartec, 29 September 2010 - 09:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Clifford Tan

Clifford Tan

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

Hi,

Sounds like this is browser related. Here's my suggestion.

- Too many add-ons/toolbars attached to the web browser. You can improve performance by disabling or removing unnecessary addons. Having incompatible browser add-ons or extension can greatly impact system performance, causing compatibility issues and slow down your browsing experience.
- If you’re using firefox, here’s how you can make it run fast without having to reinstall the application. http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/09/firefox...emory-fast.html
- Clear cookies and internet temp files.
- In the search windows, type %temp% and press Enter to open temp folders. Select Ctrl + A and delete all.
- Dump Internet Explorer and use Google Chrome. IE has been known to take up lots of system resources and runs slow overtime. I’m a big time fan of Chrome and have been ever since I started using it since 2009. I believed this is the faster web browser on the planet. Click here to download Google Chrome.

I've covered the above and more in my free report if you want to learn more on how to boost system performance,not just the internet.
http://www.pcoptimizationsecrets.com

Edited by Clifford Tan, 29 September 2010 - 06:26 PM.

~ Clifford The IT Guy ~
PC Optimization Secrets

#3 dpg508

dpg508

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

I just had the same issue with the SVCHOST processes and ran ComboFix which cleared up the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users