Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited or no connectivity error, cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ixcuincle

ixcuincle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:04 AM

I previously posted here about getting blue screens and was redirected to a program which helped me determine the cause of these blue screens.

After determining that the blue screens were likely caused by a wireless driver, I decided to uninstall and reinstall the driver. Now the problem is, I can't get back on the internet.

I use a Netgear WNDA3100 v1.

I tried to connect through WNDA3100 v1's provided wireless connection, but couldn't connect to the internet at all. So I tried to connect through the Windows XP service.

When this happens, the connection often is "stuck" at Acquiring Network Address before claiming "Limited or No connectivity" or "Not Connected". I have made sure to enter the exact WEP key every time while trying to connect, I have disabled firewalls, and I still can't connect to the internet. The router appears to be working fine, since I can access the internet fine on this laptop.

As with nearly every instance I have searched online, I have tried to repair the network and I get an "Invalid IP Address" message.

I was able to resolve this issue the first time I got the adapter a year ago, but I can't remember how I solved this issue. It's absolutely baffling me and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martian71

Martian71

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

have you tried turning off wireless security then try to connect that would be my first move, if that works make sure you have the latest driver / firmware for your wireless adaptor. Than try connecting with security enabled again

#3 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

What do you mean turning off wireless security?

I have tried to disable and re-enable the adapter, the driver is also the most recent.

The Firewall is off.

I have no clue what could be wrong, everything theoretically should be working fine. I entered the WEP key, I tried to connect to my network...

#4 Eraser23

Eraser23

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

Well first step would be to check you network adapter in control panel. Follow these instructions just to have a quick check.

Go to CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS > then pick NETWORK CONNECTIONS.

You can then see the state of your network adapter, which may say Connected, disabled, unplugged or not connected or limited or no connectivity. I'd image it's the latter obviously, but just have a quick check anyway.

If it indeed says limited or no connectivity by the adapter in the Network Connections window, right-click your network adapter, and then click Repair. Here's a little guide.

There are other steps to try, but just check those for starters.

#5 Avg_Joe

Avg_Joe

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

I previously posted here about getting blue screens and was redirected to a program which helped me determine the cause of these blue screens.

After determining that the blue screens were likely caused by a wireless driver, I decided to uninstall and reinstall the driver. Now the problem is, I can't get back on the internet.

I use a Netgear WNDA3100 v1.

I tried to connect through WNDA3100 v1's provided wireless connection, but couldn't connect to the internet at all. So I tried to connect through the Windows XP service.

When this happens, the connection often is "stuck" at Acquiring Network Address before claiming "Limited or No connectivity" or "Not Connected". I have made sure to enter the exact WEP key every time while trying to connect, I have disabled firewalls, and I still can't connect to the internet. The router appears to be working fine, since I can access the internet fine on this laptop.

As with nearly every instance I have searched online, I have tried to repair the network and I get an "Invalid IP Address" message.

I was able to resolve this issue the first time I got the adapter a year ago, but I can't remember how I solved this issue. It's absolutely baffling me and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had the same message 2 weeks ago. Drove me nuts. I bypassed my router ... still had the problem.

What finally got me working was to unplug my modem for 2 minutes. Plugged it back and I was up and running.

Good luck!

#6 Eraser23

Eraser23

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

What finally got me working was to unplug my modem for 2 minutes. Plugged it back and I was up and running.

Good luck!

That was going to be my next step, the good ol' unplug and replug.

If you run a modem, unplug and leave for 2 mins, then replug. If you run a router, unplug and leave for 2 mins, then replug.

Sometimes the simple methods can work.

#7 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Well first step would be to check you network adapter in control panel. Follow these instructions just to have a quick check.

Go to CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS > then pick NETWORK CONNECTIONS.

You can then see the state of your network adapter, which may say Connected, disabled, unplugged or not connected or limited or no connectivity. I'd image it's the latter obviously, but just have a quick check anyway.

If it indeed says limited or no connectivity by the adapter in the Network Connections window, right-click your network adapter, and then click Repair. Here's a little guide.

There are other steps to try, but just check those for starters.

Locks up at "Renewing your IP Address", then says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following actions cannot be completed:

Renewing your IP Address

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network."

I will try turning the router off and turning it back soon, hopefully that works

Edit: I turned the router off and back on, and I still get the same error.

Edited by ixcuincle, 29 September 2010 - 09:56 AM.

#8 Avg_Joe

Avg_Joe

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

I will try turning the router off and turning it back soon, hopefully that works

Edit: I turned the router off and back on, and I still get the same error.
[/quote]

Can you bypass your router? And if you can, be sure to turn off the modem 2 minutes as well.

Good luck!

#9 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

Can you bypass your router? And if you can, be sure to turn off the modem 2 minutes as well.

Good luck!

I don't know how to bypass routers. I tried turning the router off for 2 minutes and back on, still the same errors.

I have no clue what I am doing wrong. To add to the confusion, Windows makes it extremely difficult to find out what is going on.

I am trying to experiment with the advanced options in my wireless network such as Open, Shared, and WPA. None of them seem to work and all return the same options. In fact, when I opt to use the WPA options and enter my exact key, the Windows system will automatically switch back to Open!

Edit: Okay...I'm an idiot...I went to double check the WEP key and that was from my old router. No wonder things weren't working! I'm going to go get the new WEP key now and hopefully it works.

Issue resolved - computer is back online. Thanks all :thumbsup:

Edited by ixcuincle, 29 September 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#10 Eraser23

Eraser23

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

Haha, things like that have happened to me in the past, wrong leads attached to wrong appliances - no lead even attached. These things happen.

Glad it's sorted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users