Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Case Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Shroomer

Shroomer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:47 PM

would i b able to replace my dell's case, or is everything fitted just right for dell's cases only?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:18 PM

You can... given that the motherboard's bolts have the same alignment on the other case.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:55 PM

You can but you will have to modify the case. I have done it with Dell motherboards before but the way they attach it different. The use a narrow flat slot not a round hole. It case be done easily, just take your time
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Shroomer

Shroomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

You can... given that the motherboard's bolts have the same alignment on the other case.

thank you very much.

#5 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:46 PM

Wait wait wait, Ive tried and tried with many dell motherboards nothing will connect right. Dont go through the waste of time just buy a new motherboard. Dell not only uses micro atx components, but they have all differen connectors. You wont be able to plug in any ide drives, or the power/reset switches.

#6 Shroomer

Shroomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:47 PM

Wait wait wait, Ive tried and tried with many dell motherboards nothing will connect right. Dont go through the waste of time just buy a new motherboard. Dell not only uses micro atx components, but they have all differen connectors. You wont be able to plug in any ide drives, or the power/reset switches.

i dont know how to hook dells components up to other motherboards (i was told its not just plug and play. u have to change jumpers and bleep. which im not doin)

Edited by Shroomer, 15 November 2005 - 03:49 PM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:14 PM

Except for the power supply everything from the hard drives and CD\DVD to the RAM can be upgrade. I have over a dozen at the house and have upgraded many more. Dell uses a power supply unquie to thier computers and the motherboards fasten down alittle different, but they use industry standard componants. It should be something you want to do, not something you think you are going to save money at. I did it just because I wanted to see if it can be done. It can. If you look around I think someone makes an adapter for a standard PS from a Dell PS.
I thought it was a learning experince, and fun. If you like tinkering you will enjoy the time under the hood.
Off the shelf RAM, CPU, drives, and cards will work in every Dell. POST a question on what you need, or PM me direct. I help you with what you need and so will most members.

Good luck and remember, have fun. :thumbsup:

#8 Shroomer

Shroomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 04:24 PM

so as i look for a case, am i looking for a micro atx mini tower? or does it not matter if its mid or mini? (i ask because my current is a mini)

Edited by Shroomer, 15 November 2005 - 04:41 PM.

#9 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:58 PM

Yes, theyre smaller and cant be manuevered as much. Usually if your looking to go custom, you always go atx mid tower.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:47 AM

At this point you should buy what you like. They will all have the same equipment slots inside, except that they will have a number of drive bays.
Shroomer prefers a tower I prefer a desktop. It's what fits your needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users