Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden GB occupied.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 VaynardX

VaynardX

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:05 AM

I have a question: I just recently installed windows 7 ultimate 32-bit. Everytime I go idle, my system lights are red and im not even running any application(or prolly just the antivirus). But my main question is this. I always check the hard disk space(maybe coz im a paranoid). To my surprise after I went idle for 20 mins, when I came back, my drive c space(which was 90GB), fell down to 87GB(and I wasnt even downloading anything). What could be the case? I scanned my system for viruses/malware and trojan but my system is clean. Could it be because of windows 7 processes? Need enlightenment pls.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

mine fluctuates a lot too. I don't know what causes it. I used to run 32bit ultimate and now 64 bit after reformat and same thing. I think it might be browser cache from streaming music and video. Mine has gone from 10.4gb to 9.8gb to 10.1gb right now and that was all tonight. Not as big a difference sometimes it's 5gb. Very weird.

#3 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:03 AM

^

Hmmm, if its the browser cache, then 3GB is big enough for it(coz I remember in xp it only bites 100mb for the most part). But yeah, I have the same situation as you. Sometimes it goes down, then afterwards it goes back up a little bit, so on and so forth. Any explanation would really answer my query.:huh:

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

Could be creation of system restore points?

#5 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

Have you thought of using something like CCleaner to clean out unneeded and unnecessary files from your PC and see where you stand after that? I use it on a regular basis to keep things tidy.

CCleaner download

EDIT: Just make sure that you look through the list of items that are checked off to be cleaned up and that you know what they are before you tell the program to clean up. If you're not sure, then find out what the item is or uncheck it. And you should do a backup before you clean.

Edited by Eric RBA, 29 September 2010 - 08:53 AM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

#7 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:03 AM

cryptodan, I think it should be noted that I didn't suggest the use of a registry cleaner. I understand that CCleaner can function in that capacity, but I didn't recommend to do such action. I suppose I could have specified not to use that aspect of the program though. I don't personally ever use a registry cleaner and thus don't suggest or recommend them either.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#8 TheBlackMage

TheBlackMage

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

Its just temp files created by the OS combined with browser cache. If you want to get rid of them you can use ccleaner like Eric said or you can do it through win7 which is by opening up the control panel then to the top right there is a search bar and type "disk" without the quotes in there then an option that pops up that says "Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files" click that choice the drive. Then go to your browser options and in there somewhere you can clear up your cookies and temp files.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

cryptodan, I think it should be noted that I didn't suggest the use of a registry cleaner. I understand that CCleaner can function in that capacity, but I didn't recommend to do such action. I suppose I could have specified not to use that aspect of the program though. I don't personally ever use a registry cleaner and thus don't suggest or recommend them either.

It was just a warning to let others know. What can happen if used improperly.

#10 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

So if its just temp files and browser cache, I suppose I shouldnt worry, right?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:40 PM

For temp files run this: Temp File Cleaner its far better then CCleaner and safer.

#12 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

^

So you mean I should really delete TEMP files every time it occupies very large amounts of GB?@.@

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

I would highly recommend it, i do it on my computer once a month.

#14 VaynardX

VaynardX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

^

Ok, will try that one. Thanks.:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users