Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something ate my file

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 x.rae

x.rae

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:35 AM

*sigh* I run PageMaker 6.5 on Win 7 (yeah yeah I know it's ancient software, but I own it). I worked on a file for hours tonight, saved it a few times, closed and reopened it, closed it again (with one hiccup, but it opened all right the next time), and saved again. I did not Save As ... which it as it turns out was a mistake.

After the final close, I had to work on a printer issue so I downloaded some drivers and had to reboot a few times. After getting that sorted, I reopened PageMaker to continue work and .... the file has disappeared from my drive.

The file was supposed to sync to another drive via Windows Sync Center (which suuuuuucks btw). Apparently it did not. I've searched the drive and other drives to see if it was somehow moved. It wasn't. It's just gone into the ether with no trace.

I've searched for .tmp files to no avail. I downloaded Recuva and scanned every drive and folder I can think of with no related results. I can't figure out where Sync Center physically saves the offline files on my drive to specifically search there. Any ideas where I can look? Anything else I can do to locate remnants of the file? Otherwise I get to spend the day recreating the file.

Thanks in advance ... I will bake you virtual chocolate chip cookies if you can help ... :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:45 AM

I would look in My Documents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users