Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not recognize the LCD monitor that is part of the laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bogey644

Bogey644

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:22 AM

Ok so this is the main problem. I have a HP dv9500 with windows vista and a Geforce 8600M GS that I connect to my tv through an HDMI cable. I don't know what causes the problem but the LCD screen went out on the laptop and it does not recognize its own screen. I had this problem for a long time and finally fiddled with enough stuff that it started working and kept working. Within the last week the LCD monitor shut off again and I shut down connected an external monitor, unplugged the HDMI cable and the external monitor and the LCD screen were both recognized. I frequently unplug the HDMI cable and take my laptop with me but there seems to be no pattern or sense when the screen goes on and off. The LCD monitor recently went off after installing updates and restarting. I system restored....nothing. Updated NVidia drivers......nothing. There is no backlight on the screen its as if it doesn't exist to the computer whatsoever even after doing rigorous detection display through the Nvidia advanced setting and also the windows mobility center detection.

It is an extremely frustrating problem because there seems to be no rhyme or reason why it happens or any kind of pattern. Not to mention I have no LCD screen and have no idea how to get it back.

Any help would be unbelievably appreciated, just to have my laptop screen back so I can travel and use it. Thanks to anyone who can help or has any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bogey644

Bogey644
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

I've also tried fn +f4 multiple times. Also tried restarting and connecting all different monitor combinations, unplugging battery, closing screen, unplugging all external monitors and restarting. Not sure what else to try.

Update: Unplugged external monitor and laptop screen came on and worked but when windows loaded the background to my desktop was extremely fuzzy tiled 4 times. After plugging external monitor back in. It immediately picks up and looks fine on external monitor and can't revert back to seeing anything on my LCD screen including backlight after plugging external monitor back in or using fn + f4.

Edited by Bogey644, 29 September 2010 - 01:41 AM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:57 AM

You may have to make your LCD Monitor on your laptop the primary and use the tv as the secondary.

#4 Bogey644

Bogey644
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:05 AM

The LCD monitor does not show up as an option to choose to make it the primary monitor. It is not recognized whatsoever in the display settings or nvidia control panel.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

So whats under the following:

Right click on the desktop select personalize then display settings whats on that window?

#6 Bogey644

Bogey644
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

It says Generic PnP monitor on nvidia Geforce 8600M GS. This is when the 1 box is highlighted. When I click on the second one (which is fuzzy to say its not active) it says default monitor on nvidia Geforce 8600M GS. It says the 2nd one is not active and I can choose extend the desktop to this monitor. When I do that I can move my cursor and windows to the right of the screen but nothing shows up on my laptop.

When I drag the 2nd box to the other side it says do you want to enable this monitor. I choose YES but nothing happens. It is no longer fuzzy so I can choose This is my main monitor and click apply but LCD doesn't turn on.

If I right click the default monitor and choose attach it gives me the option to make this my main monitor. I click apply and it just automatically reverts back to being not active.

Edited by Bogey644, 29 September 2010 - 12:36 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

You may need to run the nVidia Dual Display Configuration tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users