Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly freezes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hondaguy

hondaguy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

Hi, I recently got an HP Pavilion M8300F from a friend. It was freezing on them and I thought it'd be easy to fix. Boy, was I wrong. It has Vista Home Edition (32 bit) and I just reformatted it which didn't help at all. On to the problem: When I boot it up, it loads into Windows fine. Sometimes it will last 30 minutes, sometimes it will last just a few and the thing will freeze completely, no mouse movement, no keyboard, no sound, just whatever I was doing stuck on the screen. I have to turn it off manually to get anything to happen. Also, yesterday I was playing around with some stuff and I went to the Windows Update screen. I saw I had an update waiting to be installed so I clicked Install. The computer immediately turned off. I went into safe mode and everything worked perfect for almost 2 hours, no freezes, everything normal. I turned EVERYTHING off in the startup menu and restarted. Again, it lasted a few minutes and froze. There are no viruses on the computer as it just got reformatted and hasn't been on the internet since. I also scanned it with Spybot and Avast and MBAW. Nothing came back. I went to the HP site and the guy in the chat told me to take all the RAM out, plug it back in and turn it on. It beeped one short, then one long and I told the guy in the chat. He said my motherboard was dead which I don't understand as it functions perfectly in safe mode. I think he just wanted money since he told me it would be $300 dollars for the repair but I'm no expert (I'm sure not spending 300 on an old computer). After I got off the chat with him, I turned the computer back on and it lasted long enough for me to do a diagnostic test on the whole system including the video card, memory, motherboard, and harddrive which all passed. (I'm not sure how accurate these tests are). One thing I haven't tried yet is to check the computer temperature. I don't know that that is a symptom or not though so I thought I'd get some input. Anyways, thanks in advance guys!

Oh, and I'm not sure how to do Hijack logs and to post Event Viewer logs but I can with a little assistance :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:51 AM

Have you tried dusting it out? Sounds like it is overheating.

#3 hondaguy

hondaguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

I have but I will sure try it again. Would it freeze up in safe mode if it was overheating?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

I have but I will sure try it again. Would it freeze up in safe mode if it was overheating?

Yes it would freeze up.

#5 hondaguy

hondaguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Well I'm really at a loss for what it could be. I don't see how if the motherboard was bad, it would function fine in safe mode.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

Can you take a picture of the insides of your computer?

#7 hondaguy

hondaguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:56 PM

Not sure if this is what you needed but here ya go.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The dust on the fan is barely visible with the naked eye, the flash picked it up good, other than that, there's no dust that I can see and no bulging of any capacitors.

Edited by hondaguy, 29 September 2010 - 07:57 PM.

#8 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:09 AM

I would consider the possibility that the HP employee was in fact correct. Random freezing can sometimes be caused by a failing board, even if it passes a diagnostic test.

Have you performed a visual inspection of the board to check for blown capacitors? Judging from that picture it looks like some could be, but it's a little hard to tell due to glare.

Edited by Akthalian, 30 September 2010 - 12:10 AM.

A+ Certified Support Technician

#9 hondaguy

hondaguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:47 AM

I would consider the possibility that the HP employee was in fact correct. Random freezing can sometimes be caused by a failing board, even if it passes a diagnostic test.

Have you performed a visual inspection of the board to check for blown capacitors? Judging from that picture it looks like some could be, but it's a little hard to tell due to glare.

Yes I have and they look fine. I'm just confused, if it was the mobo, how would it run fine in safe mode? Wouldn't it freeze any time besides just in normal operating mode? I'm actually on it now in safe mode with networking and it has been on for going on 3 hours with no freezes.

Edited by hondaguy, 30 September 2010 - 12:48 AM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#11 hondaguy

hondaguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jYhKNPzuXCT815ylZF8Zcem

Also had a BSOD for the first time while getting that information from Speccy, the first one I've had but again, it doesn't happen in Safe Mode as I'm in it now with still no problems. I got this error in the Event Viewer prior to the BSOD.

I'm not sure if this will work for others to see but I'll try it anyways.

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 9/30/2010 3:16:05 PM
Event ID: 7026
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: MattY
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
aswSP
aswTdi
i8042prt
spldr
Wanarpv6
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7026</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-09-30T20:16:05.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1456</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>MattY</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">
aswSP
aswTdi
i8042prt
spldr
Wanarpv6</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Edited by hondaguy, 30 September 2010 - 03:48 PM.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:10 PM

i am thinking now that the issue is your motherboard it is starting to fail. I would start looking for another one. Try and find one that can use all your current parts.

#13 hondaguy

hondaguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

Hm, well that's not good news. I think I may just trash it then. I didn't pay anything for it and am sure not putting any money into it since I have working computers. If anybody else may have any ideas I'm open to them (not to say I don't believe you cryptodan, more than one opinion is always nice though)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users