Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista & Samba - File Currently In Use

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 L-DNA

L-DNA

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:30 PM

We have a Cent OS server running Samba which is acting as our primary domain controller and network share. We have three endpoints running Vista Business. When the network was installed a few months back everything was fine, however now we have hit a serious problem.

When opening files on the network drive, we are able to open, edit and save the files. However if someone tries to re-open the same file we are getting the error file is currently in use. This happens with Word, Excel, Access, Publisher, Works, PDF. Text files are not affected, nor are any of the files which are saved on the user's roaming profile. To solve the problem all the endpoints must be re-booted then everything returns to normal. This is happening on all endpoints regardless which one opened or accessed the file.

I read a few threads on Google which didn't really help. One suggested the user profile was corrupt and that I should create a new one. I tried this but it was not the issue.

Any suggesting on testing / finding the fault?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

Look for any file that has a ~ in front of it and delete it. the ~ denotes a tempoary file which is created as a recovery file if Word crashes.

#3 L-DNA

L-DNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

I'm not sure how this is relevant but it is not the cause of the problem anyway.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

THe files with the ~ means they are currently opened, and if not closed properly could keep the parent/main file locked for editing until everyone reboots which releases that temp file.

#5 L-DNA

L-DNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

I will have to double check again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure this is not happening.

If this was the cause, why aren't the temp files being released normally when the application is closed?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

Its the nature of the beat. You are using Windows and Samba, if it was Windows and Active Directory it would be different.

#7 L-DNA

L-DNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:21 PM

Thats because I refuse to pay 800 for a server licence from Microshaft for the sake of three office PCs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users