Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden FPS drops when playing CSS. Thinking I have virus.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikec84

mikec84

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

I play a few source engine games (Counter_Strike, Garry's Mod, Left for Dead 2, and Team Fortress 2) and within the past few days I've gotten constant fps drops about ever 2 seconds. Watching other players move is like watching gumby. I've always played with the graphics up as high as they go without ever a problem. I've tried dumbing down the graphics, but then I get the same problem with just added eye sore. I get excellent ping. I suspect I have gotten a new spyware or virus on my pc.

A little history: I've posted for help before here with my pc crashing every now and then with the "blue screen of death" message MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Ultimately it was figured that my PC was overheating because of excess dust buildup inside. When these crashes happen more frequently, I dust it with compressed air or physically clean the inside. This will supress these crashes for a while until it gets dirty again.

------------

Here is my current config...

Case: PowerUp AK-18 ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB and Audio Ports
MPN: TC3J-4503

MOBO: ASUS P5QPL-AM

Processor: Intel Pentium D 830 3.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / OEM / Socket 775 / Dual-Core / Processor
MPN: HH80551PG0802MN

Memory: OCZ Dual Channel XTC 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Gamer Memory (2 x 1024MB)
MPN: OCZ26672048ELGEGXT-K

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 7900 GS KO / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card
MPN: 256-P2-N624-AR

Hard Drive 1: ST3500418AS Connected Via SATA
Hard Drive 2: WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0 Connected Via IDE

DVD Burner: ATAPI iHAS324

Sound and networking are onboard.

------------

If I can get further insight on the crashes as well, it would be even more appreciated. Let me know what I can do to get some help. Thanks!

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

TIme to get a bigger case. Your case is too small, because your video card gets plenty hot, your other components add heat, and your processor is a heater as well.

I would highly recommend a full tower case.

#3 mikec84

mikec84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

Thats the first time anyone has suggested that, and I never thought of that either. I certainly will get a bigger case then :huh:

As far as the virus or spyware i suspect goes... I forgot to mention i have Avira Free, AVG Free, Zone Alarm Free, Ad-Aware, Spybot, and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. I ran all of these before posting here for help and only had some browser entries that Spybot detected.

Edited by elise025, 29 September 2010 - 09:36 AM.
HJT log removed so this topic can remain in this forum. Please do not post another log. ~ Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users