Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery technology back with the dinosaurs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

I just want to say how disappointed I am with the poor state of battery technology.

I have a digital camera: a Canon PowerShot A400. It's a wonderful little gadget, but the one thing that has been a constant bother is getting enough battery power to make it work.

I've been using a GrandCell Dualcharger to recharge size AA Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries to power the camera.

These work for a year or so, but then the batteries don't 'top-up' enough in the Recharger to power the camera.

Ordinary non-rechargeable batteries last only a very short time before they are no longer effective.

A totally fresh non-rechargeable AA battery shows a charge of 1.61v on a meter - which is enough power to make the camera work.

All my rechargeable AA batteries now register as no more than 1.41v ... which is not enough to power the camera.

So just a lousy .20 of a volt makes the difference between the camera being operable - or dead.

I've got around 6 rechargeable NiMH batteries which are now good for nothing except for powering a pen-torch or a TV remote control.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

I agree with you about the apparent lack of progress with batteries. You'd think a fully charged battery on a modern laptop would last about 12 hours or so.

But no, only from 2-4 hours!

I enjoyed that mini rant. :thumbsup:

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

I would lay more blame on the devices these batteries are expected to power. These devices continue to get more and more power hungry, and battery energy density isn't necessarily keeping up.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

Good point ddeerrff. So, maybe they are doing well just keep the about the same ratio?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users