Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Made a Mistake! (Urgent)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iamz3r0

iamz3r0

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

While trying to install Windows XP to a USB drive, I accidentally "damaged" my boot settings. Windows is looking for XP on my USB, and not seeing my original copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. I don't have my copy of W7HP (I left it in another state), so repairing it with that is out of the picture. I'm left with a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, so when I try to recover my current Windows 7 installation, it says it's not compatible. I've tried using bootcfg from my W7 Ultimate disc, but I get "ERROR: Cannot open BOOT.INI file."

This is urgent because I have some classwork due and it's on my unaccessable copy of Windows.

Ask if you need more information.
Thanks, guys.

Edited by iamz3r0, 28 September 2010 - 07:13 PM.

!@#$ this! I'm getting Windows 7, and if that doesn't work, a Mac!
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iamz3r0

iamz3r0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:36 PM

Okay, I did it. I used bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot and now everything is in working order. You can close this topic.
!@#$ this! I'm getting Windows 7, and if that doesn't work, a Mac!
Posted Image

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:38 AM

We usually do not close threads here we kept them open in case other people have the same issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users