Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Account control settings

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tad Bear

Tad Bear

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:40 PM

Hi I am a new windows 7 user. When I set UAC to default. I am unable to open Itunes and other file contents are listed as empty(backup files). The message I get when trying to ope Itunes is "The folder Itunes is on a locked disk or you do not have write permission for this folder".

I would like to be secure, especially when on the internet, but would like access to programs etc.

Note I am using windows 7 home premium (64 bit). I use AVG free antivirus and Microsoft Security Essentials with real time protection turned off (I beleive I have to do this so that it does not interfere with AVG - but am not sure)

The computer was set up for me with me as administrator.

any help would be appreciated.

Regards Tad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

It sounds like you may have a corrupted User Profile. Try making a new User Account with administrative privileges. Log on using the new account and see if this resolves the issues.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows...-a-user-account

Edited by Zuhl3156, 28 September 2010 - 06:52 PM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:35 AM

The following directories are protected by Windows:

C:\Program Files

C:\Program Files(x86)

C:\Windows

C:\Users

You may have set UAC to be too restrictive.

#4 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:26 AM

I agree with cryptodan. Before you try setting up a new user profile I would reel back the UAC settings to be slightly less restrictive. Also, you can leave the real time protection for Microsoft Security Essentials turned on. I run that with AVG free (and numerous other real-time scanning programs) and have not had a single issue.

UAC is still going to serve a purpose even without it being so limiting to your interaction on your own PC.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#5 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for all your help. as suggested I have reinstalled real time protection in microsoft security essentials.

Now to the main issue. I looked at making a new User Account with administrative privileges, which looked quite involved including setting up access to music library, documents etc. So put that on hold untill I looked at other suggested solutions.

Itunes seemed to have issues with my backgound and so took it back to the background that came with the computer (default). I came across a thread (including network world and pc world) that lead me to try the compatability trouble shooter (right click on program icon - on desktop not on start menu icon). This suggested running in xp mode service pack 2). I got a little bit confused here and tried to run itunes as the administrator. Itunes then started but before opening I kept getting the message "iTunes.exe has been set to run in compatibility mode for an older version of Windows. For best result, turn off compatibility mode of iTunes before you open it". To get rid of this I was led to using regedit: (by network world and pc world)

''1. Make sure iTunes isn't running.

2. Click Start, type regedit, then press Enter.

3. Navigate to this Registry location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

4. Look in the main pane for a key that refers to iTunes. If you find one, delete it, then exit the Registry.

5. Start iTunes. The offending message should be gone.''

This only led me to deleting my registry entry, run as administrator. I'm not sure if there wasn't an entry for compatability mode, because I had turned it off.

Once this was removed I was back to the original problem of not being able to open Itunes.

At the end I right clicked on the Itunes Icon, then went to properties , then to compatability mode (note run in xpmode was turned off). I then put a tick in Run as administrstor.

I have now set UAC to : notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop).

I would like to thank all those who responded to my dilmma.

It seems there are some issues with running Itunes for 64 bit windows 7.

I should say though, that I had my new laptop back to harvey normans 3 or 4 times in the first week, due to problems with trying to load a television usb stick that interfered with my usb modem (leaving both not working and locking up my computer), plus a faulty external hard drive, and finally the harvey norman techntian loosing all my sound drivers. The Harvey Norman technition said that I did not have all administrator rights , so changed settings. I beleive it was him who set UAC to "never notify me when programs try to make changes to my computer". Thus leaving my laptop open to potential attacks. He did not tell me what he did. I must say I find this very disturbing.

Hopefully with your assistance i have solved my current issue. I do have the problem that I have enough knowledge to get myself into trouble, but not enough knowledge to get myself out of those problems.

Regards tad

#6 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:48 AM

I do have the problem that I have enough knowledge to get myself into trouble, but not enough knowledge to get myself out of those problems.

Regards tad

Don't we all!! Honestly though, I'd suggest making a trip to Harvey Norman my last resort. If you have any future troubles Bleeping and the other forums should be able to help you out.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#7 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

I still think you should try this. Its only around 6 or 7 mouse clicks, then a few keystrokes for a temporary user name for testing purposes. If it doesn't fix the problem you can delete the account. If it does fix the problem I'll give you the link on how to move all of your current user account info into a new user account.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows...-a-user-account

#8 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Zuhl. I have sey up an additional user with administrator priveledges. I will examine access to files and programs whilst logged in alternatively to each user to see if there are any differences.

It would be great if you could send me the link that would enable me to move all my current user account info into a new user account. It would enable me to continue down the path of having complete access/control of my computer, including my home network (desktop running windows xp sp3 and wireless laptop running windows 7 home premium and my backups.

regards Tad

#9 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:15 PM

I had similar problems and had to do this to make things right again. Its really not that hard, even I could do it!
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows...ed-user-profile

#10 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

Hi Zuhl. I followed your link. I don't have access to computer (drive c:)/user/username/my documents it states: is not accessable Access is denied .
I don''t know if this because I share c:\users with my workgroup or my UAC settings. I will try to vary both, one at atime to check this out.
Obviously, if I dont have access I cannot create a new user profile and copy files to 'the new profile.

Regards Tad

ps I just changed my UAC settings and it didnt make any difference.
I have now managed to get acces to my documents through properties and changeing securities (I can only do this by allowing ╦veryone"full control (I don't really like this , so have now reversed it _ I hope I have - I sort of guessed what the old setting were, based on other settings I may do a restore to try to reverse my mess). It did so with a number of errors, but now I have access. Strangely I think due to the file method of windows 7. I have access to all my music,videoes etc on the same page as my documents , however once you enter my documents there are other versions of my music etc and I do not have access to these files - All very confusing.
On this basis I'm not sure If I can copy/change my user profile???

Edited by Tad Bear, 01 October 2010 - 12:54 AM.

#11 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

hi Zuhl, cryptodan, eric, et al
I think I may have found an answer (after needing to do 4 recoveries, as I mucked things up). I no longer have a my documents folder [EDIT MAY JUST HAVE BEEN VISIBLE BECAUSE I HAD SHOW ALL HIDDEN AND SYSTEM FILES]. (I haven't done a restart yet to see if it stays). I found the following at another forum site (even though it said it was for vista, I thought the principals would be the same) Here's what I did (the moderater of the forum suggested this fix):

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:

Download details SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.

3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click "Continue"

4. Click "Start". In the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=system=f
@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause

6. After the above commands are finished, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."

8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

I will see, now if it sticks, hopefully it may help others as well.

Regards Tad

Note I still got my documents folder [SEE MY ABOVE EDIT NOTE] so tried :

restart in safe mode

open file explorer
right click on C:\
select Properties option
choose security tab
click advanced button
select owner tab
click Edit button
click on the name you want ownership rights changed to ie: your administrator user
tick the box "replace owner on subcontainers and objects"
hit apply

this should restore your ownership of C:\

But did it in normal mode. After this I found I still had my documents, BUT after I stopped hidden files and system files from being shown I no longer had My documents etc.
I now think that Cryptodan was on the right track when he stated:
The following directories are protected by Windows:

C:\Program Files

C:\Program Files(x86)

C:\Windows

C:\Users

SO MAYBE I HAD CONTROL AND DIDN'T KNOW IT - A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING.

Regards Tad

Edited by Tad Bear, 03 October 2010 - 04:09 AM.

#12 Tad Bear

Tad Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:57 AM

I have since learned that you don't have the same administrator rights in windows 7, as you do in windows XP. - See Tutorials for WINDOWS 7 in Bleepingcomputer.com

I believe this have been my issue.

Regards Tad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users