Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't boot - from HD or from CD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AnubisZX5

AnubisZX5

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

Hello! I recently had a malware/virus/trojan attack on my PC. My father is quite good with computers, and fixed the endless reboot cycle and installed Norton IS 2010. I got my PC back and was going through the process of windows updates, scanning, etc. Last night I ran a full system scan and found that there were trojan horse and trojan.mijapt files. Norton recommended that I restart into safe mode and run the scan again and that it should be able to fix them that way. When I restarted, the Norton IS 2010 was in my CD rom drive. My bios is set to boot CD first them HD, and I inadvertently hit any key to have it boot from CD - the Norton CD. I got a grey screen, then nothing. Upon restart (and removal of the Norton CD) my Windows would not load. I could not even get to the F8 screen to attempt a last known config. or a safe mode boot. Now, I can access bios functions but cannot load windows. Al I get is blank screen. When I put in either the XP Pro CD, or the Recovery Console .iso cd I made using the instructions on this forum, I can load from CD, but it will only say "Setup is checking your hardware configuration" then I get another blank screen.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

The Norton's cd obviously made changes to your OS without your knowledge. When you "restarted" it, did you exit the Norton's program and let it power off, or did you just pull the power on the system?

#3 AnubisZX5

AnubisZX5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

I've also tried using the Western Digital Diagnositc Disc - but it won't seem to boot that up either.

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

Were you in the process of running a scan off the CD boot when you restarted it?

#5 AnubisZX5

AnubisZX5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

Were you in the process of running a scan off the CD boot when you restarted it?

Nah, when I restarted Windows was functioning normally. (Well, as normally as it can with 7 trojans running around lol).

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

I'm refering to the restart you did after you booted from the NIS cd, not the one before.

#7 AnubisZX5

AnubisZX5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

I'm refering to the restart you did after you booted from the NIS cd, not the one before.

Oh - I have no idea. I don't think so - when it booted I got a two-toned grey screen and then it just sat there - I waited a minute or two and then restarted. Now it seems it won't boot to anything . . .

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

What kind of computer do you have?

#9 AnubisZX5

AnubisZX5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

What kind of computer do you have?

My father and I built it - Asus MB, 2G ram, geforce 256 graphics . . .

#10 AnubisZX5

AnubisZX5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

Ya know what, thanks Gabrial. I was re-reading our thread and started thinking about what you wrote about scanning from the Norton boot CD - I didn't realize Norton IS came with a Boot Recovery tool. I had accidentally gotten into it but never let it resolve. So the HD wouldn't boot. I went in and booted from the Norton CD, started a scan, canceled it and closed the program properly, and voila! Windows started like normal.

Thanks for the help!

#11 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

That was actually going to be my next suggestion. You beat me to the punch line. xD

Glad you got it working, happy computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users