Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

long start up time

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

when the computer starts up, the desktop and all the icons come up in normal time. but programs can't be accessed for a certain period of time each and every day. almost exactly 20 minutes. after that period, it runs fine as normal. it's just annoying to wait so long every day. all automatic start-ups, to my knowledge, have been turned off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Does the start button work, but the programs just won't load, or is it non-responsive?

#3 rockmilk

rockmilk
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:29 PM

No cant access start button.Hour glass over entire taskbar takes 20 minutes to load all is well after that.Im thinking, to many startup programs.I used a third party software to disable all auto start programs.To no avail.
I should mention that after the long startup, the computer runs like a dream. I think one or more of the auto start programs is running, even though i disabled them.

Edited by rockmilk, 28 September 2010 - 06:36 PM.

#4 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:28 PM

Do you have a second hard drive or other storage devices attatched to the system that may be failing?

#5 rockmilk

rockmilk
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

The only thing connected is a printer.If you dont mind I only want help from BC staff.

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

Sure thing man.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

Is there a reason why you "only want help from BC staff"?

There are more members than staff. One of those members just might be the one who can actually help you.

To request staff only, you are actually delaying any help you could receive. In order for staff to assist, there has to be at least one of them online and here. That staff member may not have a clue about your issue, therefore will not reply. So you sit and wait for a staff member who has the knowledge to help you.

In the meantime, a member reads your post, thinks "I can help with this", then sees your staff only request. So the member does not respond, leaving you to wait some more.

BC has members who can help you if you will allow them to do so.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

Nicely said Queen-Evie :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:17 PM

I think, Gabrial asked all the right questions, so I see no reason to fuss.
His questions and your replies eliminated some possibilities.

20 minutes startup would be most likely caused by some heavy infection, or some hardware problem.
Since the computer seems to be working just fine after that long startup, I'd suspect the latter.
Power supply, hard drive, RAM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#10 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:21 PM

Probably hard drive read or communications failure, since once things to get loaded into ram it's running "fine". maybe bad blocks in system files that it has to correct for using ecc and thus taking forever to read.

If it were me, I'd create a new account and see if the problem persists in that account next, to help narrow it down to a user's profile issue or a systemic problem. But that's just me. Not helping here at all. xD

Probably wouldn't hurt to run a hard drive diagnostic and ram check from a bootable media. I think speccy publishes SMART data in it's profile, could get him to post those results easily enough.

Edited by Gabrial, 28 September 2010 - 11:23 PM.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:54 AM

If this is indeed only about the startup time and the computer is running fine otherwise, you might want to have a look here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/0...-in-windows-xp/

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#12 rockmilk

rockmilk
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

Ok ill accept help from anyone sorry,just dont know how much experience people outside of staff have.

Edited by rockmilk, 29 September 2010 - 10:39 AM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

Rockmilk:

Actually...you don't know how much experience anyone (including staff) has...or how varied/extensive such might be.

To assume that Staff are the only competent personnel on this forum...is somewhat illogical, since many Staff members became such after somewhat extensive membership/participation in the various forums. The forum has many more members...than it has staff...and the experiences/knowledge of members should be accepted for what it is.

Knowledge is the province of the many, not the few.

The only exception I would make to those generalizations...would be in the malware arena...where skill and knowledge probably belong in the hands of the few. The malware forums cannot be run like the other forums, based on the nature of problems encountered. Here...BC Staff personnel should certainly rule, since the possibilities of someone offering well-intended but incorrect suggestions/advice...may have unnecessary, avoidable negative consequences for members posting their problems.

Just my two cents...

Louis

#14 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

I have received help from many members many times for a long time. Some were staff and some were not. There is no way the staff could answer all the post, there are just to many post. We are getting close to 500,000 members.

Edited by Layback Bear, 29 September 2010 - 12:02 PM.

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

Keep in mind also that literally all of BC staff were members at some point.

Theres a lot of good advice from all folks at BC, making it a community effort.
The more minds the better.

If someone were to give bad advice, it is almost always either corrected or broght to the attention of the powers that be.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users