Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Switch The Hardrive?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 VRViperII

VRViperII

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:18 PM

Ok here's the situation. My friend's computer's video card is busted. She doesn't want to buy a new video card. I have an old computer that works fine. I want to take out the harddrive of my old computer, and install her harddrive into my old computer. How do I do that? Do I simply unhook my harddrive and hook hers onto it? Do I need to some sort of software (maybe I need to ask her if she got any regarding her hardrive?)? Anything I should watch out for (maybe doing something will completely erase the contents on both hardrives?)?

Thanks.

EDIT: oyea, my old computer's OS is Windows XP, but my friend's OS is Windows 98, if it makes a difference.

Edited by VRViperII, 13 November 2005 - 08:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:31 PM

Your friends Hard Drive will simply plug into your computer but you won't be able to boot with it. You will need to format it and install an operating system.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:01 AM

As Leurgy said you will have to reinstall XP. And you will have to reregister since it is in a new computer. When you change more than 3 components or the motherboard, XP will detect it and you will have to register again. It's part of the anti-piracy effort MS started with XP.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:00 AM

The working hard drive has Windows 98 on it? (SE I hope)
That should transplant into the new computer OK - I've switched 98 hard drives in and out of different PC's - you have to load all the motherboard drivers and reboot a few times while it detects all the changes but I never had to re-install. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:27 PM

I won't argue with the Rimmer but you will have quite the mish mash in Device Manager when you boot with that 98 drive in another PC. You may also have some resource conflicts. If it boots you can play with that. Since none of your data is on that drive a fresh install would be preferable IMHO.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 VRViperII

VRViperII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:26 PM

I won't argue with the Rimmer but you will have quite the mish mash in Device Manager when you boot with that 98 drive in another PC. You may also have some resource conflicts. If it boots you can play with that. Since none of your data is on that drive a fresh install would be preferable IMHO.

hmm so is the only easy way to safe the information on her hardrive is to change her video card? Should I take out her video card and take it to a local computer store to ask which video card the motherboard supports?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:36 AM

No, not the only way. Does she have onboard video as well as a video card? If so connect the monitor to that.

If you want to save her info you can put her drive in another computer as a slave and burn to CD or transfer the info to another hard drive. I wasn't aware you were trying to save her info.

#8 VRViperII

VRViperII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:09 PM

No, not the only way. Does she have onboard video as well as a video card? If so connect the monitor to that.

If you want to save her info you can put her drive in another computer as a slave and burn to CD or transfer the info to another hard drive. I wasn't aware you were trying to save her info.

I believe it's an onboard card. I'll double check on that.

Ya I was thinking of doing that too, that's why I mentioned that her harddrive is win98. My OS is winXP. Is it still possible to hook her harddrive up as slave and mines as master?

EDIT: wait.. by "another computer" do you mean one that runs on win98? Or will mines do?

Edited by VRViperII, 17 November 2005 - 12:09 PM.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:13 PM

Is it still possible to hook her harddrive up as slave and mines as master?

EDIT: wait.. by "another computer" do you mean one that runs on win98? Or will mines do?

Yes if you slave her drive in your computer you should be able to copy off her stuff.

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:55 PM

What quality of video does your friend want? Unless she's a gamer I'd have thought a seccond hand video card with maybe 32MB would do. Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to do that rather than all this reinstalling windows an restoring drivers, applications, data and so on? :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:01 PM

What quality of video does your friend want? Unless she's a gamer I'd have thought a seccond hand video card with maybe 32MB would do. Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to do that rather than all this reinstalling windows an restoring drivers, applications, data and so on? :thumbsup:

Just what I was thinking as I read all this (smile).

I would guess that even a 16MB PCI video card would be more than sufficient, since the only reason video cards have so much memory these days...is because of gamers.

Louis

#12 VRViperII

VRViperII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

hmm you guys are squeezing out the details I left out :thumbsup:

ok, here's the a more detailed description of the story right now. My friend's computer's vid card is busted. I'm using XP and she's using Win98. She has 2 computers, one is this one (vid card is screwed) and the other which works fine (this is the newer com). For the older com with the screwed up vid card, she will give the computer away to her relative or something, if she gets the video card fixed. Yet she doesn't really want to spend money on a video card since she won't really use the computer anymore (she's got the new one). She doesn't want to lose some of the stuff in her old computer's harddrive. The ideal solution would be to somehow transfer the documents in her old computer's harddrive to one of my harddrives. Then she can pick out the files that she wants to keep and I'll transfer them to her new computer. The old computer will be trashed or something (it's like 5-6 years old anyways). If the data transfer cannot be done, THEN she'll buy a vid card on her old computer, take out the useful files, format the computer then give it to her relative. To recap, her old computer cannot do anything right now. The monitor that we tested it on is fine. The screen is just black and the error signal is on the monitor (see first post). But if she will buy a vid card, yea... the minimum basic is enough. She's not a gamer.

Well I'm heading to her house this coming friday (it's sat right now for me). Here's my checklist:
1) Try connecting it again, maybe something WAS loose (unlikely but owell).
2) Check for faulty ram, power supply and fan.
3) Try slaving her drive in one of my computers. Anyone got a useful guide for doing this? I've never done something like this before. All my computers have only one harddrive.

interesting note: everything was fine the first time I connected up her old computer. I did it in her house in 2 rooms (let's call them Room A and Room B ). I hooked everything up in Room A, it worked. But there was no phoneline to connect there for the internet (she uses 56k phoneline modem). So I took the old computer and monitor to Room B, which is the room with the new computer and a phoneline. I tried hooking the old computer up there, but nothing shows. I've checked the outlet, the computer DOES get power in Room B, so the power outlets are working fine. Now I took like... 2 minutes to move the computer from Room A to Room B. Just how likely is it that the computer vid card burns out in 2 minutes? :flowers:

Edited by VRViperII, 19 November 2005 - 03:33 PM.

#13 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

You moved it. Anything's possible. :thumbsup:

I don't wish to denegrate your computer skills but I don't suppose there's any chance you could have hooked up the monitor to the wrong port? For example if she had onboard video and then added (or was added at the store) a plug in video card as an upgrade, the onboard could be disabled. You plug it all back together and connect to the onboard video and voila - no display! It does happen.

If there is only one video port and its a plug-in card, I assume you've tried reseating it? If its a PCI card (in a white slot) you could move it to a different slot.

When working on PC's move them to a flat workarea with space for the components you will be interchanging and where there is power available. Connect the power cord and take off the cover(s). When you are ready to begin working hold the metal case of the PC, remove the power cord and then you can handle the drive or video card with reasonable safety. Keep as much contact with the metal case as possible while your interchanging parts and try not to move around too much. This is all to prevent static damage to either PC.

If the video card(?) is trashed you can install her drive as a slave in your working XP machine. I assume both machines have IDE drives - wide gray data cables? In your XP machine does the IDE cable have different coloured connectors? If so which connector is your drive attached to?
Assuming different colour connectors and your drive is on the black one at the end set the Win98 drive to be slave 'SL' by changing the jumper according to manufacturers instructions (hopefully on the label but not always). If the jumper info is not there then search the manufacturers site or come back to us with make and model number.
Then connect the slave drive to the middle grey connector. If the connectors are all the same colour it doesn't matter whether its the middle or end one you use. Plug in a power cable for the drive of course.
Now look in the BIOS (usually the 'Del' key at boot) and where the IDE devices are shown you will see your own drive model beside 'Primary Master', make sure there is something listed after 'Primary Slave'. If it says 'None' you need to change the Primary Slave setting to 'Auto". At the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to move the cursor around. (no mice in BIOS!)

If the slave drive is detected then exit BIOS saving settings and reboot to XP. Under my computer you should see a new drive and you will be able to access it to copy or move files and folders.

hth :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 19 November 2005 - 06:33 PM.

#14 VRViperII

VRViperII
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:37 PM

You moved it. Anything's possible. :thumbsup:

I don't wish to denegrate your computer skills but I don't suppose there's any chance you could have hooked up the monitor to the wrong port? For example if she had onboard video and then added (or was added at the store) a plug in video card as an upgrade, the onboard could be disabled. You plug it all back together and connect to the onboard video and voila - no display! It does happen.

If there is only one video port and its a plug-in card, I assume you've tried reseating it? If its a PCI card (in a white slot) you could move it to a different slot.

When working on PC's move them to a flat workarea with space for the components you will be interchanging and where there is power available. Connect the power cord and take off the cover(s). When you are ready to begin working hold the metal case of the PC, remove the power cord and then you can handle the drive or video card with reasonable safety. Keep as much contact with the metal case as possible while your interchanging parts and try not to move around too much. This is all to prevent static damage to either PC.

If the video card(?) is trashed you can install her drive as a slave in your working XP machine. I assume both machines have IDE drives - wide gray data cables? In your XP machine does the IDE cable have different coloured connectors? If so which connector is your drive attached to?
Assuming different colour connectors and your drive is on the black one at the end set the Win98 drive to be slave 'SL' by changing the jumper according to manufacturers instructions (hopefully on the label but not always). If the jumper info is not there then search the manufacturers site or come back to us with make and model number.
Then connect the slave drive to the middle grey connector. If the connectors are all the same colour it doesn't matter whether its the middle or end one you use. Plug in a power cable for the drive of course.
Now look in the BIOS (usually the 'Del' key at boot) and where the IDE devices are shown you will see your own drive model beside 'Primary Master', make sure there is something listed after 'Primary Slave'. If it says 'None' you need to change the Primary Slave setting to 'Auto". At the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to move the cursor around. (no mice in BIOS!)

If the slave drive is detected then exit BIOS saving settings and reboot to XP. Under my computer you should see a new drive and you will be able to access it to copy or move files and folders.

hth :flowers:

well I'm no computer guru but I know enough to not make that kind of mistake
:trumpet:

here is a very crude image of what I see in MY computer, sorry I do'nt have a digicam, haha

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8219/computer7jo.jpg

the wires are actually more complicated, but it's gonna be really messy if I draw everything, so i only drew what I thought was important.

1) How do I remove the plug connected to my harddrive that has 2 black, 2 red and 2 yellow wires on it? Do I just pull it out? I tried that but it's kind of tight, not sure if that's the right way or not.

2) The IDE Cable connects the harddrive and the motherboard in a slot on the motherboard. Do I connect my friend's hardrive the same way?

3) I'm not planning to permanently keep my friend's harddrive in my computer. Do I have to mount her harddrive in one of the bays with screws for it to work? Or can i just leave it in the case or something?

4) For the plug in the picture (the one beside the IDE and connected to the harddrive), there is another in the case but I'm not sure if it's also for a harddrive. It looks the same, but in case it isn't for the harddrive, can I pull the one that's giving my CD player power inside the case to use it for my friend''s harddrive?

Thanks.

#15 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:14 PM

Nice drawing!

btw - Please use the Add Reply not the "Reply button, unless you need to quote a specific post.

1) Yes sometimes those power connectors go in really tight, just heave it out.

2) Well I was hoping there would be another connector on that IDE cable but, since there isn't, the easiest way to connect your friend's drive is to plug it in using the power and IDE cables for your CDROM. That way you don't need to change any jumpers on the hard drive. You won't have a CDROM available while it's connected but that shouldn't be much of a problem. In the BIOS you may have to set Secondary Master and Secondary Slave to 'auto'.

3) Yep, you can just leave it dangling. Put a piece of card or something insulating underneath it so there's no possibility of it shorting on anything else. Do not use any tape of any sort near the drive.

4) see 2 above.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users