Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Its not looking good

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 curiositykat

curiositykat

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

Computer in question is a Hp pavillion dv6700 that is 3 years old. Hard drive and memory are two years old and were replaced under warranty when the comp was 8 months old. Since last wednesday:
1. Has been running fine, vista 32 bit, froze in shutdown, booted up to a black windows error screen
2. downloaded UBCD and found windows repair disk
-tested hard drive with BIOS and testdisk passed both
-memory passed tests as well
-windows startup repair: could not repair. Root cause: boot configuration is corrupt
3. tried to repair boot configuration
-after bootrec/rebuildbcd,ect
-sucessfully scanned windows installations. total identified windows installations:0
4. back to repair disk:
start up repair could not repair again. Root cause: no os files found on disk
5. determined hard drive was heavily corrupt
6.well lets just install windows 7 and reformat it
-windows 7 failed to install, I forget error code
7. lets just wipe the disk and install windows 7
-darik's boot and nuke beta wiped the hard drive
- boots upto a black screen saying no OS found
8. woot windows 7
-fails to install D=
9.Gparted on UBCD
-gives these error: "cluster accounting failed" "extra cluster in $bitmap"
-told to run chkdsk/f and reboot twice before program can continue
10. Chkdsk C:/f
-failed: corrupt or unreadable
11 use bios to check hard drive again
-passes both quick and long test
12. About 15 minuets after hard drive test and a few reboots later we loose the dvd/cd drive (F%#K)
13. remove hard drive, battery, backup battery, dvd/cd drive and put it all back
-nothing
- also I noted my charging and hard drive light on front of computer were not working during the last test (at least) even though it is charging and it passed the hard drive test

SOOOOOOOOO............. how screwed am I? Disk drive is dead, comp has no operating system, BIOS still works, obviously there is some hardware problem here. I'm not really sure what to do next since I can't use any of the live disks anymore.

Edited by curiositykat, 28 September 2010 - 04:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

sounds like it could be a bad motherboard, but just to be safe do you happen to have another hard drive laying around? Have you tried an Ubuntu Live CD, boot up off that and see if you can format the drives, partition them, and maybe install windows on the second partion to see if its a bad hard drive segment, would be my recomendation if you can get it to boot up.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

Well the disc drive came back! It was my dad. I was gone at the time, so IDK how exactly he got it to work again. He said he got angry at it and slammed it back in. The hard drive light came back on too, but not the "charging" light. He brought home a external usb dvd/cd drive that we were going to try, but he couldn't get it to boot off it.

Like you said I was terrified it was the motherboard, it still may be though. But far the time being I'm glad it has decided to come back some what. Currently we are wiping the hard drive again with the same program, since its the only one we can get to work off the UBCD. Its also decided to take twice as long this time, so maybe its doing something different. It could be the hard drive too, but IDK. It won't actually register the hard drive in the BIOS system information, but it passes the BIOS hard drive test :flowers:. Then with the UBCD some of the tools can find it while others don't register it. I do have a live ubuntu CD already I will try that once the disc is done being wiped.

We don't have a spare hard drive for the laptop, but yeah I figure if we can't fix it we will try a new hard drive first before suspecting the motherboard. This current one was the one replaced under warranty, when we pulled it out yesterday we found out it was a refurbished hard drive, thanks HP :thumbsup: . That alone would of been okay, but it originally ran 64 bit. Once HP sent it back it was running 32 bit.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

eh that happens sometimes, nothing necessarily wrong with refurbished, been running a refurbished laptop for like 5 years now without issues. Slamming it probably wasnt a good idea, but it makes me suspect it is indeed the hard drive, slamming it probably knocked the internal components back together at least temporarily. Anyway, keep us updated.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:10 AM

He slammed in the DVD drive not the hard drive. The hard drive is behaving as it was before, but we got the dvd drive back. The hard drive is still being wiped, but its looking better now. Its reporting zero errors still unlike the near 50,000 it had last time. But then at the end of the last wiping it said "resolved nonfatal errors. Disk erase successful" or something like that.

Edited by curiositykat, 29 September 2010 - 12:15 AM.

#6 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

well wiped the drive again. We are still getting errors that their are extra clusters on the hard drive. Went ahead and reformatted and it got to 8% before it got stuck. It's been sitting at 8% for over an hour :thumbsup:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:46 AM

Go to the website of the manufacturer of your hdd and dwonload and run their diagnostic test. If there are two test, short test and long test, run the long one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for that suggestion. I tried and their was software for testing it, but it needed MS-DOS. Since the computer is wiped with no operating system it wasn't of much help. I was able to get the command prompt off the repair disk to format the disk. Well I tried twice, it failed both times. It doesn't give me a reason for an error either. ">format c: /fs:ntfs" Tells me the drive is RAW and that the new system will be ntfs. Takes about 90 minuets then asks for a volume name. I name it then it says format failed. Well we are ordering a new hard drive to see if that's the problem. Its just acting too weird. Won't show up in BIOS, won't format, and those programs that do pick it up, like Gparted, say its 232.88GB when its suppose to be 250GB.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

What is manufacturer of the hdd?

The discrepancy in size isn't anything to worry about, but the other issues definitely are.

Some of these site will have the means of allowing you to make a bootable disk for this test, let's see if this is an option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

Its a western digital wd2500BEVS. I checked the site and the only bootable disk I could find still required MS-DOS. Despite that I did try it and ofc it didn't work.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hello here is some information for you that may be helpful.

At this link is various types of downloads for this hard drive, including both floppy and cdrom DOS versions of hard drive utilities and a Windows based one as well.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...p;x=13&y=11

This link has to do with the drives electrical connections and jumpers.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...prods=227%2C194

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 September 2010 - 10:41 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:05 PM

Yeah none of those worked, I need something that can boot completely on its own. I ordered a new hard drive. A western digital one that is 320GB and faster, but should not make my lappy any hotter then the original drive. I'll know if its the hard drive by Monday maybe.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:44 PM

Sorry I forgot to post a link in my last reply, I edited it and added the extra link. :thumbsup:

But being as you would most likely miss the fact I added the missing link, I will add it to this post.

At this link is various types of downloads for this hard drive, including both floppy and cdrom DOS versions of hard drive utilities and a Windows based one as well.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...p;x=13&y=11

Sorry about that.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

yeah thats the one I tired lol. CD for DOS. Downloaded it wrote the image to disc and tried to boot off it. It loads a little way before giving errors, the main one is "cannot find cmd.exe".

Oh yeah the new drive is here too! I had free two day shipping, but for some reason Amazon shipped it next day air.

Edited by curiositykat, 01 October 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#15 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

IT WORKS! :thumbsup: Put new hard drive in the old cradle and popped it in. Just went ahead with Windows 7 and it installed without any problems. Only thing I notice is my little "charging" light still don't work. It worked for maybe a minuet after I put the hard drive and battery back in. It charges fine and windows displays I am charging(100%). I guess I'll just let it come back when it feels like it....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users