Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stopping my computer from hybernating/sleeping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

Is there a way to set Windows not to go into hybernation or sleep mode at night time? I ask because I have an antivirus program that's scheduled to do a full scan at 4:00 AM, but when I get up in the morning and wake my computer up, it shows that the scan is just starting. I want to try and see if it will complete the scan before I get to it in the morning (or at least show that it's gone a significant way into it) if I prevent my computer from hybernating/sleeping. Can this be done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sketch71

Sketch71

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

right click on your desktop >> select properties>>click the screen saver tab>>click the Power... button>>choose the hibernate option>>uncheck the enable hibernation box>>click apply & ok>>??????>>profit!

this should take care of your problem if you are using XP :thumbsup:

Edited by Sketch71, 28 September 2010 - 04:44 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey look, buddy, I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like 'what is beauty?', because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems.

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

Sleep and hibernation are two different things. Sleep (windows calls this Standby) is a power conservation mode, where it suspends your computer and it operates minimally. Hibernation saves memory to the hard drive and powers everything off.

To disable hibernation, follow Sketch71's advice.

To disable sleep mode on timeout:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel
2. Double click "Power Options".
3. Change "Power scheme" to "Always on".
4. Click "OK".

5. ????
6. More profit.
(sorry couldn't help it, it's a meme!) xD

Edited by Gabrial, 28 September 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#4 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

Thank you both.

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

Glad you got it going the way you like. Happy computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users