Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Does Not Recognize Norton

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bondini

Bondini

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:45 PM

Hi: Here I am with my first set of problems. I hope someone can help me! I will try to describe as clearly as possible. Here goes ---

1. Since downloading Windows Service Pack 2 and enabling Windows Firewall my antivirus system, Norton Professional Edition 2003, is turned off in the Security Centre and a red icon on my system tray gives me a Windows Security Alert that my antivirus system is disabled. When I go to the Security Centre Norton is turned off and the message says that Norton reports that the virus protection is turned off. The Norton icon tells me it is enabled and when I open it all entries are green. What can I do about this? It makes me nervous that Microsoft does not recognize my antivirus system - is this important? The Windows Firewall is on and automatic updates is on also.

2. My ISP is 295.ca and I am on dialup. I bought Turbo2dialup from them and since then if I want to go to the automatic update site in Security Centre I cannot get in. I receive an error message. I have to turn the Turbo off and then I gain access.

3. I do not seem to get automatic updates now although is is turned on but since I asked for Microsoft Consumer Security Newsletters I get Download Notifications and then I turn the Turbo off and I go to the update site and ask for the updates right away. As long as I have Turbo will this continue to be the case or is there something I can do about it?

I know I have dumped two problems at the same time. Hope this is O.K. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Bondini
eMachine T2824, Intel Celeron CPU 2.53 GHz, 256 Ram, 40GB Hard drive, Windows XP Home SP2, 56K Dialup modem, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Outlook Express, Norton Professional Edition 2003, Windows Antispyware, Spybot - S & D, Ad-Aware SE, Spyblaster, CCleaner, Windows RegistryRepair Pro and Belarc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:32 PM

This is the procedure I followed:

If you have a Norton product you will have to run Live Update Manually
twice after you install SP2. This will install an update to NAV itself and a WMI patch to allow
it to integrate with the Windows Security Console. You can now go back and if you
previously selected "I have an antivirus and will monitor it myself ." you can now uncheck it
and NAV will integrate with the Windows Secuity Console. NAV may ask if you want to allow
other software to be informed of its status. Approve this.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Bondini

Bondini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:08 PM

Thanks tg1911:

Please treat me a a computer dummy. I am pretty illiterate beyond basic usage. You must explain very simply to me please or I will not understand.

I do not know what NAV or a WM1 patch is.

Edited by Bondini, 14 November 2005 - 02:29 PM.

eMachine T2824, Intel Celeron CPU 2.53 GHz, 256 Ram, 40GB Hard drive, Windows XP Home SP2, 56K Dialup modem, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Outlook Express, Norton Professional Edition 2003, Windows Antispyware, Spybot - S & D, Ad-Aware SE, Spyblaster, CCleaner, Windows RegistryRepair Pro and Belarc.

#4 Bondini

Bondini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:19 PM

Thanks tg1911:

Please treat me as a computer dummy. I am very illiterate beyond the basics. I am taking as many tutorials as I can but it will be a very long time before I become a "techie".

I would appreciate it if you would explain in very simple terms. I do not know what NAV means or WM1 patch. I have run Live update many times since installing SP2. I have never seen a message indicating that there was any integration at all. I have checked and unchecked the message about monitoring Norton myself.

Windows just does not recognize that I am running Norton at all.

Since your message I ran Live update again and all my definitions are up to date. What do I do now?

Bondini

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

See if anything here will help:
Windows Security Center displays an alert icon in the notification area of the taskbar
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 Bondini

Bondini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:09 AM

Hi tg1911:

I tried that site but nothing there was helpful. I did finally learn what NAV means though so that's something. Any other suggestions? Thanks again,

Bondini

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

Sorry, the only other suggestion I have, would be to go to Symantec's Search Page and see if you can find anything there, searching the site with your problem.

#8 Bondini

Bondini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:03 AM

Thanks again for trying to help me. I went to the Symantec site without success. I guess I'll just have to put up with this.

Do you think there is any real problem here? I am getting updates from Norton and it seems to be completely enabled when I open it from my system tray.

My Norton subscription terminates in December. I would like to install either AVG or AVAST - can you tell me which one is best please. I am hoping I will avoid the problem I am having now.

Bondini

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

As long as Norton shows it's working, and you're able to get all of your updates, you should be fine.

Either AVG, or Avast, would be good.
As far as which is better, that's more of a personal decision.
I believe most here, that use a free antivirus, use AVG.
Since they're free, try different antivirus programs, to see which one your more comfortable with.
Remember to only have ONE antivirus running at a time.
Running more than one will cause conflicts between the 2 programs.

Like spyware scanners, no antivirus is perfect, and will catch everything, all the time.
That's why you should run a couple of online scans occasionally, just to be sure.
We have a list of several online scans listed here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Here are a couple of other free AV's to consider:
Antivir
Bitdefender Free

Edited by tg1911, 16 November 2005 - 09:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users