Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ideas for new laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 woolybugger

woolybugger

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

Greetings,
I am beginning to start shopping around for a new laptop, but I have not gotten far as I keep getting bogged down by all the terminology. First of all, needs. My primary needs in a laptop are surfing, email, pictures, ipod music/vids, and writing (working on short and long stories). I probably won't do much gaming if any. Last time I bought a computer I didn't see any need to pay for a dvd burner much less a player because I'd never be watching movies on it. Then a couple of years later I got an ipod, and couldn't download movies or shows on dvd because I had no burner. First question, any recommendations on what I need. Secondly, is there some book or website that would give me a computer/laptop anatomy class for dummies, that is explaining what everything means and what use it would be to me (ie, what is a dual core processor vs a 2 duo processor, etc). Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

1. For any information on pcs and the diffrences of hardware i.e Processors or graphics cards, I would such around here or at tomshardware. There is information all over the net when it comes to comparisons and things like that.

2. Just for longevity I would look at the new i series from intel. AMD hasn't let out much lately concerning mobile processors besides the triple core. Even though you may not need some of the processing power an i7 delivers it doesn't hurt to have it >:blink:

3. Is there a price range you are trying to shoot for? That will help narrow things now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users