Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netzero

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:47 PM

I am currently using Netzero for two reasons: it is only $9.95 per month and we use the internet 1 or 2 hours per month. Netzero seems to have several problems, but I realize that you get what you pay for.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what Internet provider I could use that is relatively inexpensive, but functions better than Netzero?

rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:04 PM

rlight,

There are several factors to consider. You say Netzero has problems. What are those problems? Is it possibly a wiring problem that will still be there when you change ISP's? Is it a telco problem that affects virtually any service provider you might select? Also, it would be helpful to know what region you are in. As not all providers serve all areas. It would would be pointless to suggest an ISP that does not serve your location.

Be (Dialup) Safe

Da Bleeping Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:45 AM

Da Animal is correct. I would first list the problems you are having.
Here is a couple of things you can try. Select a different telephone number. Those number are to local ISPs that lease lines to different national ISPs (AOL, Netzero, Juno, Netscape,...) so a different number means a different set of hardware.
Try to limit the number of programs you allow to run on your computer. If you are not using it it should not be running. Exception would be antivirus, antispyware, and firewall.
Ceanup your system. Run defrag from safe mode, and disk cleanup. I also like cCleaner.

Also if you tell us what verison of windows, RAM, processor, hard drive used/unused space. This would be helpful.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:19 PM

The problem that I am having is, I receive a message that reads 'Your copy of Netzero software has been corrupted. Please reinstall software. Error Code: 16'. This has occured ten or more times in the last few months. I then uninstall and reinstall, only to have it occur again. The reinstall is always from the Netzero software on their website.

My system:
Windows 2000 Professional
Computer -
X86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 8
AT/AT Compatible
63,984 KB Ram

File System -
Used Space: 7.76GB
Free Space: 20.1GB
Capacity: 27.9GB

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:34 PM

I see you only have 64mb of RAM. Althought W2k can run on this, if you are running several programs in the background you maybe running out of memory.
Download and run Everest home. Let us know how much Ram your system is using and has free at ideal.
I would, without the result, believe you need 256mb but would recommend 512mb of RAM. If for no other reason than it will make you computer more fun and reliable. This is because of the security programs most of use run.

#6 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:52 PM

Your Net Zero software is probably getting itself corrupted because of the shortage of RAM. I would guess the software designers designed it for a minimum of 128MB--Your Operating System is using a large chunk of the RAM and when the browser software starts doing its thing its is running out of space to put any data and corrupts itself with junk--then flushes it when rebooting. I would suggest everyone have a program on his computer like EVEREST--I have wondered why Microsoft doesn't include something as good with their OS software?? Re your ISP problem--I would guess all of the ISPs (and their software) would need at least 128MB--- :thumbsup: :flowers:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

#7 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:37 AM

Thank you all for your help.

Please note that I am a computer novice!!!! So how do I increase the amount of RAM on my computer?

Does the Everest Report that I have included give enough information or do I need to provide more??

Everest Report follows:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer HOME-094P4S44CB
Generator Administrator
Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional 5.0.2195 (Win2000 Retail)
Date 2005-11-27
Time 17:19

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 4
DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b)
Computer Name HOME-094P4S44CB
User Name Administrator

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron, 700 MHz (10.5 x 67)
Motherboard Name Asus CUW-AM/MEW-AM
Motherboard Chipset Intel Whitney i810
System Memory 64 MB (PC100 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (06/23/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Intel Corporation 810 Graphics Controller Hub (4 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel i752
Monitor HP D5259A Pavilion M70 (TH03412766)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - AC'97 Audio Adapter [B-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801AA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30 (29 GB, 4500 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
Optical Drive MITSUMI CR-4804TE (4x/4x/24x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 28615 MB (20554 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Modem Lucent Win Modem #2

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer hp deskjet 5550 series (2)
Printer hp deskjet 5550 series
USB1 Controller Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - USB Controller [B-1]

Thanks again,
rlight

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:00 AM

Unplug your computer and take the cover off. You will have 2 or 3 slots with white tab on each end near the proccessor. One will have a small board with several small chips on each side. The other slot(s) will be empty. Dont confuse them with the white PCI slots near the back of the computer. Picture of RAM. I am not telling you to buy this RAM. It's only so you know what you are looking for. The RAM will only fit in one way. Your local computer store should have them. This is straight forward and easy You can do it.

#9 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:29 PM

Acklan,

Thanks for all your help. I appreciate it!!!

rlight :thumbsup:

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

Were you able to figure it out?

#11 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:13 PM

I haven't had time to replace the ram as of yet. Too many Christmas events are going on. However, with the information that you have provided I am sure that I can get it done in the near future. So, thanks again and I hope that you have a great Christmas.

rlight

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:17 PM

I hope it all works out. Have a good holiday.

Merry Christmas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users