Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Staples warranty questions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 datapanik

datapanik

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:36 AM

I just posted in the Virus, Trojan etc Logs forum. In short, potentially major issues with my HP DV9700 purchased in October 2008. I hate the thing.

I have an extended warranty through Staples which doesn't seem to cover much of anything. My father bought it as my previous Dell was ruined by a loose powerjack (which my 11 year old brother fixed for free years later and the thing works great now). I am unclear whether it is Standard or Accidental coverage. He was under the impression that it was supposed to be Accidental coverage but likely they talked him into something else and either way, they cite 'liquid damage' and refuse to fix anything. I wish he had consulted me before buying it as we could have gotten a much better MacBook Pro for the same price with a student discount...sigh. (ok, I'm a bit nostalgic for the 1990s and my old Macintosh II computer...lasted 11 years and I had a cd-rom drive before anyone else in my class!) Anyway, I've got a year left on this horrid warranty and I'm wondering, in the event that my system is totally compromised by a backdoor trojan, if I can some how get the whole unit replaced. I kind of need it to be reliable and secure as I did my banking, international orders for books, and research on it (though nothing important in the past two months, fortunately).

Staples totally failed in the past. I had some issues with the powerjack port about a year ago. It's a bit loose still. The power adapter broke, too. Staples didn't fix either issue citing "liquid damage" and it took weeks to return. I ordered a new cord off ebay and it worked fine. I still occasionally have problems with that but I'm pissed they didn't fix it in the first place. The fan also has a tendency to stop working, a problem from about a week into owning the thing, which makes it overheat even with a cooling pad.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting Staples to replace anything. What am I supposed to do, kick in the screen? Run it over with my car?

Edited by datapanik, 28 September 2010 - 04:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users