Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly got rid of Security Suite, now have browser redirect issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 datapanik

datapanik

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

Hello! I am new to the forum and figured I should post here first before going to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.

I am running Windows Vista with 32-bit security on an HP DV9700 (which I hate, but do not have money to replace at the moment). I should mention that I do not have Windows back up/restore CDs or anything like that. My father purchased some sort of extended coverage (scam) plan from Staples but they are 1) useless and 2) take forever to send back the computer. I backed up all necessary files on an external harddrive a week or two before obvious virus problems started.

A few days ago, Security Suite reared its ugly, obnoxious head. I wrote down the long number that showed up when I hovered over the taskbar icon, closed the programme immediately with Windows Task Manager, and then couldn't find a trace of it when I searched my computer for it or Security Suite. I ran a full Malwarebytes scan in safe mode and that seems to have gotten rid of it. (I just read in the Malwarebytes alternative pinned topic that MBAM.exe is supposed to run in normal mode...woops. I need to buy a cooling pad before running that again as it makes my computer overheat unless I pause it frequently. Another curious note, Malwarebytes also seems to have fixed issues with my optical drive which had stopped working in early August. I had assumed that the physical drive was broken but it seems to have been something else. Since Malwarebytes fixed that, I wonder if it's some sort of malware/virus crap that infests firmware as well and if I've had problems longer?)

But then when I restarted Windows normally, the browser redirect problem started. Scour.com, various other obviously fake search engines or stupid adverts for penny stocks (who buys into that anyway? apparently enough people that it's still worth infesting computers), things that are difficult to navigate out of. Additionally, Windows host processes stop working periodically. Yeesh. Nothing out of the ordinary shows up in Windows Task Manager.

I ran the DDS tool and the Rootkill programmes and have those logs but GMER.exe isn't working for me. The first time I ran it (not in safe mode), my computer crashed. When I try to run it in safe mode, the programme crashes. Perhaps I should redownload it? I am unsure what to do!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Reading these threads I'm amazed by the kindness of those devoting their free time to help people. :thumbsup:

Edited by datapanik, 27 September 2010 - 09:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:52 AM

As you have an open topic here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic350116.html I am closing this topic.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users